How do I know if my truck has manual or power brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ukiltmybrutha

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Central VA, DC Metro, NOVA (can they make up their
I plan on replacing the master cylinder and bleeding. I have worked on brakes for a while but every vehicle I have ever owned has had power brakes so I never really got involved in attempting to understand whether or not any of my vehicles had power brakes.

Is there a sure fire way to tell without getting too technical. I can take a pic of whatever will help.

Thank you

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Your truck is a GMT400? It has power brakes.

We don't drive Model T's. :p

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
I plan on replacing the master cylinder and bleeding. I have worked on brakes for a while but every vehicle I have ever owned has had power brakes so I never really got involved in attempting to understand whether or not any of my vehicles had power brakes.

Is there a sure fire way to tell without getting too technical. I can take a pic of whatever will help.

Thank you

just for future references...if there is a brake booster behind your master cylinder then you have power brakes. if they push easy when you go to stop you have p/b. manual brakes are hard to push and there wont be a booster you will just have the master cylinder

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What you're seeing on Rockauto is the difference between vacuum and hydroboost brakes.

All 1/2t GMT400 have vacuum assisted power brakes; only some of the 3/4t and 1t trucks received hydroboost systems.

There IS a difference between the vacuum master and hydro master and one will not mount to the other. If you're not sure when you order, call them up and a rep can help you out.