How do I fix this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Trans still won't last long without ecm locking up converter. That extra slip in the converter will cause extra heat build up, seen it many times
Man I'm glad you mentioned that as it totally slipped my mind. (just more of what I meant by carb swaps on these usually having a lot of sore spots to deal with)

There are several options, I haven't used any of them myself so do your research before spending the bucks. Just search "700R4 lockup kit" - TCI, Painless, and others make kits that are vacuum-operated. Prices are all across the board. I'm a little suspicious of the really cheap kits but maybe the pricey ones are just over-thought? ;)

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your ECM will lock up the converter just fine without the TBI - if it's still there and wired up. I made the switch to a Holley Sniper and mine runs just fine. There are kits to wire up the TCC without the ECM, but they're expensive for what they are. You simply need to use the 4th gear pressure switch and a vacuum switch. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-cmp3766b

It should be as simple as running power through the vacuum switch to the 4th gear pressure switch (red wire), but I haven't made that mod on my truck yet.