How do I fix this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kpawl89

Reaction score
Bought this truck a few months ago. Just got around to inspecting all the details and saw this. Engine was rebuilt and the Edelbrock 1406 (I think) was added. I’m not mechanic but I know this ain’t right. The electric choke isn’t hooked up either :(
You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Wow thats dangerous. Edelbrock makes adaptors that bolt on the side of the throttle linkage to make your cables fit correctly. Do some searching on summit racing, Jegs, or Eledbrocks website.

Edit, quick search came up with this, not sure if its for you but as an example:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just be really.. really.. really sure you get the throttle valve cable adjusted properly so you don't roast your transmission. Read up on the subject. You want to be sure it's adjusted right now, not tomorrow, not next week. That is unless you don't mind blowing money on rebuilding the transmission.

Richard

Kpawl89

Reaction score
Just be really.. really.. really sure you get the throttle valve cable adjusted properly so you don't roast your transmission. Read up on the subject. You want to be sure it's adjusted right now, not tomorrow, not next week. That is unless you don't mind blowing money on rebuilding the transmission.

Richard
That’s the top cable correct? What’s the bottom cable ?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Top cable is for the gas pedal. Bottom cable is the throttle valve cable for the transmission. The bottom cable is the one that needs the precise adjustment.

Then again, when adjusting it, it'll ratchet ONCE, and that's all it needs. Read up on it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Carb-swapped TBI engines are usually a mixed bag of sore spots that can be difficult to get 100% correct, but the throttle valve (TV) cable adjustment is the disaster you really want to avoid. Do be sure to read up on proper setting of it before driving the truck at all.

In short, if it's adjusted too loose, your transmission will slip itself to death. Too tight and it'll shift so hard you'll break stuff.

The correct adapter for the cable helps too; this is probably what you need but do more investigation before pulling the trigger - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-8026

Richard

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a .pdf with instructions and the geometry necessary for the TV cable

Attachments

• 700r4 cable adjustment instructions(15).pdf
    97.8 KB · Views: 6

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trans still won't last long without ecm locking up converter. That extra slip in the converter will cause extra heat build up, seen it many times