Carbureted LS Swap on 1990 GMC w/ 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like Scooterwrench said, don't go hacking up your stock engine harness, but you can thin it out, there's a couple good step by step youtube vids on it out there. To make you gauges work, the easiest way would be to use sensor adapters with your stock sensors. Some people claim you won't have the most accurate readings because of the the adapters but you'll have something.

I'm curious as to why you bought a flywheel AND a spacer? When I first did my swap I used the TH400 that was already in the truck, and I just bought the proper flexplate (don't remember which one off hand) and I didn't need the spacer, but it's the same one as the 700r4.

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Scooterwrench said, don't go hacking up your stock engine harness, but you can thin it out, there's a couple good step by step youtube vids on it out there. To make you gauges work, the easiest way would be to use sensor adapters with your stock sensors. Some people claim you won't have the most accurate readings because of the the adapters but you'll have something.

I'm curious as to why you bought a flywheel AND a spacer? When I first did my swap I used the TH400 that was already in the truck, and I just bought the proper flexplate (don't remember which one off hand) and I didn't need the spacer, but it's the same one as the 700r4.

I bought them as a package from Jegs and thought it was necessary based on this guide

You must be registered for see images attach

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now, that I'm looking at it. I dont understand why they packaged a "dished" flexplate with a crankshaft spacer. I'm going to reach out to Jegs to see.

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Called Jegs and they assured me I have the right kit. I guess I'll know for sure when I go to mate the engine and trans.