Ls swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
New to the site and educationally/technologically challenged. So if posting in wrong area I wouldn’t be surprised. i have a 00 k3500 cclb 7.4 4l80 Engine about to leave the chat. Looking at lq9 swap not buying a donor will be using gm long block. I know I’ll need intake,injectors,drive accessories, etc. my question is other than wiring harness and motor mounts what will be needed to make this as plug n play as possible? Looking to keep all factory options a/c cruise factory gauges etc. will fuel system need upgrade? Just looking for any info of the small things in any area of swap that others have come across. Hoping to have majority of parts on hand before even beginning to tear down. Any info is greatly appreciated!!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get another 454 or get the one you have rebuilt. The LQ9 will be gutless for the 95% of the time you are less than 4,500 RPM. CCLB 4x4 3500 is a lot of truck for an engine that makes less torque down low in the RPM range than a stock L31 5.7L 350.

If you want an improvement, I suggest the 8100 Vortec. If you can find one with the Van/GMT400 3500HD brackets it is actually an easier swap than the LS. It will bolt to your current motor mounts and exhaust manifolds as well as your current belt driven accessories bolt right on. I only had to get an 8.1L AC hose and because my Tahoe had rear ac, had to have the Tahoe suction line end mated to the 8.1L hose. Tuned 8.1L will crank out over 500 ft/lbs of torque at ~3,000 rpm. The 8.1L will also run on cheap 87 octane where the LQ9 needs 91+ octane.

Last edited: