How can I install 2 batteries?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm upgrading my alternator so I don't know if I need a second battery. It's a nice option though. Anyway, I wanna know how to go about doing this. I have room right where my engine bay storage box is. Has anyone done this to a gasser? And I'm running ALOT of lights. And I'm adding more soon.
Right now I have 4, 100watt halogen off road lamps, plus 2, 55 watt fog lamps, plus toolbox lights. And I'm adding running board lights and led strips in the back for the brakes and stuff. And I'm adding more lamps and lights like I said. Thanks guys

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
You can remove your storage box and replace it with a battery tray and you're good to go.

jaemitch

Reaction score
the way i did it was + to + grounded each battery on each side and disconnected and removed the wire that runs to the fuse box since it was ran from the other side and just connected the closest battery to it.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
The hardest part is parting with the money to buy a new battery. Stupid easy and a very worthwhile upgrade. Just junkyard hunt for a + cable to go between the two batteries and you're golden.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
That's an O.K. way to do it, but it has some drawbacks.
You're always running off of both batteries that way. If you leave something on, headlights, interior lights, etc. they will BOTH go dead after a while. (Twice as long as with one?)
Go to an RV shop, & get a 'battery isolater'. With this, your original battery runs as it originally did, but your alternater charges both batteries. Keep the original doing what it was meant to do, but use the second for all your 'add-ons', such as auxillary lights & monster stereo systems.
Plus, if the one battery ever goes dead, with one jumper cable, +>+, (they're already grounded) you can jump the dead battery with the good one. You'll never need to ask someone for a jump again!
I would do 'The Big 3' with this set-up, but it would become 'The Big 5'(?) Use nothing less than 4.0 gauge wire that is 'oxygen free'.