home made wiring harness may be my only solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsleeper81

Reaction score
I have a build thread over in other vehicles area.
I'm slowly building up my daily driver cclb 4x4 I just purchased a new dash on sat. the loom that was on that dash had been cut all up.
My dash in my truck seems to be brittle and not sure how reliable it really is.
I have looked around can't seem to find a loom for the dash anywhere.
I don't want to order an entire kit from painless unless I was doing the entire truck at one time, so I am thinking of reading up on as many wiring diagrams as possible and just building one from scratch as close to oem as possible with the exception of taking things out that are not need in my truck and adding things that are needed/wanted.
any input would be great if you have done this before or if anyone knows where I could get one that has not been hacked up.
thanks.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sounds like a lot of work. Maybe looking for what you need in more distant wrecking yards would be a better way to go?

Wiring can be a nightmare. Sometimes I wonder how we let cars and trucks get so crazy complicated. Combine that complication with the fact that the plastic connectors on old wiring looms often seem to just break apart, and you've got a recipe for grief.

jsleeper81

Reaction score
That sounds like a lot of work. Maybe looking for what you need in more distant wrecking yards would be a better way to go?

Wiring can be a nightmare. Sometimes I wonder how we let cars and trucks get so crazy complicated. Combine that complication with the fact that the plastic connectors on old wiring looms often seem to just break apart, and you've got a recipe for grief.

this is my dilemma I would rather find a factory harness and strip the things I won't need or use.
I've wire a car before however that was a 67 bug which has no wires hardly so that was simple, this truck has mountains of wires so it is a little daunting to consider this.
I have a good friend that wired up a mid 80s camaro with a ls1 swap he used a painless kit he said I should take this route he swears by how simple it was to do.
I have only started tearing my frame support off the back of the dash and still need to clean it all up wrap it in leather before I get to wiring so its going to be a few week before I get to this just trying to get my ducks in a row "sort a speak".