Frame damage or design? 92K1500 Long bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flatcap

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
To cut a long story short, my truck needs a bit of frame welding to pass it's UK annual test so decided to do it properly and remove the bed, fuel tank etc to do both the repair and whilst at it, descale the frame & treat the rust etc etc.
Now...I nearly had a heart attack when looking at the frame as it's definitely "different" so to speak! The drivers side rear chassis rail bends inwards towards the pumpkin whilst the passenger side looks as one would expect, reasonably straight & true. Do I have reason to be worried or "fingers crossed", were they designed like this?
The dampers are true & upright and there is no evidence of frame damage with the bed fitting well onto the frame. Hopefully you guys could offer your thoughts. Photo's to illustrate:

Attachments

• thumbnail92 k1500 lh.jpeg
    thumbnail92 k1500 lh.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 92 k1500 rh.jpeg
    92 k1500 rh.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 92 k1500.jpeg
    92 k1500.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 32

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where are the cross members?
In the engine section, there is a sticky for the OE service manuals for your year truck. Covers all aspects of repair. Including frame specifications, repair service.
The PDF 's are free , the OE " bible " for repair and service.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks same to me, but I’m not there.
As mentioned, do you have cross members?
You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a crossmember between the t bar cross member and the rear? Mine was riveted in. A frame shop would be my next stop you need to get things all aligned and strong. No use beefing it up it it’s crooked. It looks crooked
They do taper in from fuel tank cross member. Thank you @SNCTMPL
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Flatcap

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well all you guys have put my mind at rest, more or less:D ! Thanks a ton for the measurements Sean Buick, most appreciated. It's a bit disturbing that their is no rear x cross member and cannot fathom why a previous owner may have removed it. Shipping one over from the States isn't an option due to the rediculous shipping costs so may have to look into a homebrew version. It least there is the beefy tow bar in place to aid rigidity. It's had multiple owners including someone in Belgium before being taken to the UK so who knows what happened. Thanks once again boys

Flatcap

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just remembered, I removed two lpg gas tanks from the truck sometime back which probably explains the absence of the X cross member. It had a European gas filler fitting (different from UK type) so pretty sure the lpg installation was done in Belgium with the cross member removed to make space. I removed all the lpg equipment to take it back to stock.