Hobbs 96 Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments.

Unfortunately, I haven’t gotten much further with the dash. I got the one bracket that secures it to the firewall, then I realized there is another spot welded bracket on the firewall that the other flat bracket attaches to that my 96 doesn’t have. So, I’m at a standstill till I get that other bracket.

Plus it’s been cold in the garage and I don’t like messing with cold plastics if I can avoid it, and I’m probably going to dye it which will require warmer weather. Once I get the other bracket and we get into warmer weather I’ll probably jump back on it.

Casey1104

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Unfortunately, I haven’t gotten much further with the dash. I got the one bracket that secures it to the firewall, then I realized there is another spot welded bracket on the firewall that the other flat bracket attaches to that my 96 doesn’t have. So, I’m at a standstill till I get that other bracket.

Plus it’s been cold in the garage and I don’t like messing with cold plastics if I can avoid it, and I’m probably going to dye it which will require warmer weather. Once I get the other bracket and we get into warmer weather I’ll probably jump back on it.
Why did you switch the headlights that were in your truck?

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It doesn't seem like it'd be worth all the trouble... you should just send that dash my way and find a good 96 dash. :High 5:

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why did you switch the headlights that were in your truck?

I always liked the look of the quad lamps, and the composites that were in there were garbage-previous owner bought some ebay specials and put them on before he sold it. I may go back to composites-still undecided. I have a set of spyders to put on if I do go back. I am also still toying around with a gmc grille-the quad lamps look awesome in the gmc grille in my opinion.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score

I have a 98 dash torn out laying on my table, that I hope to install in my 94. I also tore out a 96 dash to get my AC box to potentially simplify my install. Going from memory at the end of last year, it was 7 to 10 bolts to remove both.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I always liked the look of the quad lamps, and the composites that were in there were garbage-previous owner bought some ebay specials and put them on before he sold it. I may go back to composites-still undecided. I have a set of spyders to put on if I do go back. I am also still toying around with a gmc grille-the quad lamps look awesome in the gmc grille in my opinion.

I did the 4 eyed swap on my 94 after breaking two sets of composite lights. This may have been due to alignment issues from a previous run in with a deer the owner before me had. I want brighter lights and I am considering the LMC specials, but still undecided. Honestly, I think the 4 eyes gives it a meaner look.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 dash torn out laying on my table, that I hope to install in my 94. I also tore out a 96 dash to get my AC box to potentially simplify my install. Going from memory at the end of last year, it was 7 to 10 bolts to remove both.

I also hope to remember how it all goes back in. I believe in a 94 that you will also need the steering column brackets from the 95+ trucks to center the steering wheel.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I also hope to remember how it all goes back in. I believe in a 94 that you will also need the steering column brackets from the 95+ trucks to center the steering wheel.

That's what I am reading. I got word from a guy (not on here) that it is a plug and play deal, but I cannot confirm nor deny his statement. Supposedly it just needs an extra ground and power, but everything I read it is all cut and splice deal. I need a strong enough drill, and a warm enough day to obtain said bracket.