Hobbs 96 Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the new wheels and tires mounted!! Very happy with the combo (thanks bluex)!!

Also got the comp / temp mirror installed...pics later.

You must be registered for see images attach

Looks awsome. What size wheel and tire did you go with? I called myself reading back through your thread but I must've still over looked it.

I updated the post above to include the wheel and tire combo. In my excitement, I left that little bit out.

Last edited:

GreenZ98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha I would be excited to it looks perfect. Where did you find a set of the old style buckshot mudders? I'd like to pick some up but can only find the new style ones.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha I would be excited to it looks perfect. Where did you find a set of the old style buckshot mudders? I'd like to pick some up but can only find the new style ones.

I nearly ran into that same problem. Simpletire.com had a set of 4 and shipped them to me. I had not heard of the site before the. and some reviews on the web were not good, but I took a chance after discussing things over with PayPal. It ended up being a great transaction.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haven’t done a whole lot to the truck lately. I picked up a hd headlamp harness a year or so ago, and modified it for a 4-hi mod. I ended up using a 10 amp, 1000 volt diode to trigger the 4 hi feature between the headlights relays. I used the vampire clips for now as I was mocking it up. I’ll get the relays secured and solder the diode in properly shortly.

Also modified the harness to take the 88-89 pigtails and installed the 88-89 headlamps. I had to trim the back of the grille quite a bit to get it to fit. If I keep this setup, I’ll shave the headlamp buckets for when I put them new grille on.

And I also grabbed a pic of how I secured the longer front brake lines from off-road design. I couldn’t ever find a pic of how anyone secured theirs.

Last edited:

Glen Polite

Reaction score
Haven’t done a whole lot to the truck lately. I picked up a hd headlamp harness a year or so ago, and modified it for a 4-hi mod. I ended up using a 10 amp, 1000 volt diode to trigger the 4 hi feature between the headlights relays. I used the vampire clips for now as I was mocking it up. I’ll get the relays secured and solder the diode in properly shortly.

Also modified the harness to take the 88-89 pigtails and installed the 88-89 headlamps. I had to trim the back of the grille quite a bit to get it to fit. If I keep this setup, I’ll shave the headlamp buckets for when I put them new grille on.

And I also grabbed a pic of how I secured the longer front brake lines from off-road design. I couldn’t ever find a pic of how anyone secured theirs.

Glen Polite

Reaction score
Awesome looking truck !!! This is how I have visioned mine to look. I just picked it up in September and need to do a lot of things to it . total rebuild of front end like what you did as well as cab corners and the repaint as the clear coat is peeling. Unfortunateley I don't have a garage to just do it . I also have a 98 all black 6.5 deisel that i'm in the market to build, basically doing the same thing to it. Good Luck !!!!!