Hobbs 96 Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So now that I had the truck running as good as I can without adding a different turbo (still thinking about a hybrid HX35/HX40), I started focusing on the outside. I ordered a steel cowl hood from a seller on ebay. I went with a teardrop as I personally am not a fan of the traditional 2 or 4 inch straight cowl hoods. It looks pretty good and the factory black coating is a close match to my truck's paint job, so that will do for now until I can get the paint work done. This pic also shows how I modded the factory Chevrolet emblem. I am not a huge fan of the gold on these trucks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my next plan was to install cab lights and then send the truck off to paint....so I thought.

I was perusing my frequent craigslist searches and found a guy selling a complete, brand new, in somewhat beat up boxes, 6" RCX suspension lift for $650 bucks, with the steering stabilizer. I couldn't get there fast enough!

So I got the kit, brought it home...and sat on it while I was deciding on my wheel/tire combo. I am not trying to get the truck as high as I can, I want it to sit around where a modern 3/4 Chevy sits. @bluex provided just the inspiration with his 98 build.

So right now, my truck sits in pieces in the garage, with a new set of wheels and tires in the bed. I have the front end disassembled. For the most part, everything came apart pretty easy. The torsion bars knocked forward pretty easy with only a few taps. I had to cut the passenger sway bar link off as it was seized. My biggest problem was getting the ball joints out. I rented a couple of different presses to press out the lower ball joints, but the lower adapter that fit over the ball joint kept tilting up and wouldn't push it out. So I ended up taking the arms to a shop and they pushed out the lower ball joints and all of the bushings. For some reason, I cannnot find a shop around the area that charges under 100 an hour. Frickin' robbery.

I cleaned up the weld slag on the lower control arms, drilled out the upper ball joints (yes they are designed by satan). I then dropped the upper control arms, lower control arms, knuckles, sway bar, sway bar brackets, torsion keys, torsion bar crossmember, and torsion stop blocks off at the powder coater to get a textured black coating. I still need to drop the front diff and take it outside and powerwash the living daylights out of it. Then I can commence with the remainder of the lift and front end rebuild

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, while doing my lift, I am trying to replace all of my rubber components that are 20+ years old. I have most of them figured out, except for the bushings that go in the bracket that supports the passenger side of the front diff. Gm has discontinued thr bracket (GM 15592502) that came with the two bushings. I picked up a spare bracket, and the bushings are CLEVITE SILENTBLOC 61484 FG. I cannot find any info on these bushings on the net. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So today I got a few more hours in...spent them all on taking the crossover pipe off. Plan is to put on my new 2 1/2" mandrel bent crossover in place of the factory one. Surprisingly, the factory one is in good shape.

5 of the bolts were still there, but the previous owner snapped on off in the manifold on the driver side. As a precaution on the other 5, I used my plumber's torch with map gas to heat up the manifolds. They all came out with a charm using the 1/2" impact. Then I spent the next 2 hours drilling out and tapping the bolt that was sheared off. Blah

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you find out what that bushing is called then?

Not yet...I'm starting to think it is unobtanium. I need to push out the two from the spare bracket an clean them up and get some measurements and try to find something close. Next option is to fab up a new bracket utilizing commonly available bushings. I cannot believe that this rubber bushing is so hard to find since it was in use from 88-2000 on all 4x4 models...that's a lot of vehicles. I found the two that go on the diff case at the dealer.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Not yet...I'm starting to think it is unobtanium. I need to push out the two from the spare bracket an clean them up and get some measurements and try to find something close. Next option is to fab up a new bracket utilizing commonly available bushings. I cannot believe that this rubber bushing is so hard to find since it was in use from 88-2000 on all 4x4 models...that's a lot of vehicles. I found the two that go on the diff case at the dealer.
They probably discontinued them because no one ever changed them. The best bet would probably be to fab something up.