Hobbs 96 Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Decided to take a break from the suspension work. Prepped and put a coat of paint on the torsion bar relocators. Also dug out the tailgate straps that I sandblasted and primed last year and painted those as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, Bessie I have a 4L80E transmission, the crossmember is deeper than the 4L60E transmission crossovers that most 1/2 ton trucks have.

I reached out to rough country and after some emails and phone conversations, they were able to fab up and mail out a set of custom kicker braces for my truck-even came painted. Best part is that it was free of charge!

Below is a pic of the problem I was having (someone else's pic) and the new kicker braces.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well...I haven't posted in a while. With 2 jobs and the kiddos, it's hard to get time to work on the truck. The lift is mostly wrapped up. I didn't even try to put the rough country shocks on, I went with Bilstein 5100 all around.

I also went with the torsion bar relocators that caused me a headache. With the relocators, the torsion bar crossmember is moved towards the rear of the truck. However, that is where my 4" diamond eye exhaust bends down to avoid contact with the cab. So, I had to heat up and put a dent in my 4" exhaust to get it to clear the crossmember.

Right now, the front end is pretty much as low as I can get it. My driver side key has around 1/8 to 3/16 of space above the stop block, and the passenger side is cranked to level out the front end to match the driver side. CV axles are pretty flat (kinda hard to see in the pic below)

So right now my back end is sitting around 2 1/4 inches lower in the back. The previous owner used to tow a 5th wheel tandem camper with the truck, and I suspect the rear leafs are a bit tired. So instead of putting in the add a leaf kit, I went ahead and ordered a new set of leaf springs for a 3/4 ton-they should be here in a few days.

And I also got up enough courage to drill holes in my roof to add the cablights. I'm diggin the amber look. I put the kodiak led inserts in at the same time. I just need to finish the wiring on them-trying to find the best place to tap for parking light feed that won't cause overloading. With them being led, I'm not sure a dedicated relay is needed.

Th air dam is off as I want to get the new rims and tires on before I put that back on to see how much trimming I'll need to do. I have a new one with tow hook slots, the previous owner ripped off the correct air dam and removed the tow hooks (I'll never understand why).

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got new 3/4 ton springs in the mail. Hope to put them on this weekend. Man, they are heavy!!

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the new springs installed..helped quite a bit...still a little low in the back, but not too shabby

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the new wheels and tires mounted!! Very happy with the combo (thanks bluex)!!

The wheels are Procomp: 17x9x5.5 (4.75 backspacing).

The tires are Maxxis MT-754 Buckshot Mudder LT305/70R-17 tires. Basically a 33.

Also got the comp / temp mirror installed...pics later.

Last edited:

GreenZ98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks awsome. What size wheel and tire did you go with? I called myself reading back through your thread but I must've still over looked it.