HIR Headlight bulbs. Loose those HID's!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
According to this little excerpt from candle power website the new philips bulbs are not any more legal than the HID most of us are running already.

According to the 'glare docket', even using a wiring harness that improves voltage from the standard 12.8 volts power to the headlights is illegal! At least, that's what I got from it! (Damned Government mumbo-jumbo!) I may have misunderstood that though, which is their point in a round-a-bout way!
The elected minions. Keep'n the masses in a state of confusion since 1776!

Is there a lawyer in the house?

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im definitely not saying I wouldn't run either one but the new philips bulbs are different from the old toshiba bulbs from what I am reading. Seems the toshiba bulbs did have the blacked out tips however I can't say for sure having never seen one.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Hell, if the government regulatory divisions can't come up with a standardized set of guidelines, how can a cop even know what is legal & illegal! Leaves the door open for all kinds of interpretation!
I'm gonna run the HIR's. If I get pinched for that, I'm just gonna cite that 'glare docket'. If that doesn't confuse both the lawyers & judge, nothing will! Lol!
Where there's doubt, there's no decision!

Mischiefse7en

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
According to FMVSS No. 108
No other bulb type is allowed for use in an original equipment application
so pretty much even if it fits, if its not supposed to be there its not legal

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hell, if the government regulatory divisions can't come up with a standardized set of guidelines, how can a cop even know what is legal & illegal! Leaves the door open for all kinds of interpretation!
I'm gonna run the HIR's. If I get pinched for that, I'm just gonna cite that 'glare docket'. If that doesn't confuse both the lawyers & judge, nothing will! Lol!
Where there's doubt, there's no decision!

That goes for pretty much all laws, until recently the carry laws around here would make a lawyer crawl under a table trying to understand them. If the worst thing I get pinched for is modifying my headlights so I can see the road better then I am doing pretty good IMO.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
According to FMVSS No. 108

so pretty much even if it fits, if its not supposed to be there its not legal

Yup!

That goes for pretty much all laws, until recently the carry laws around here would make a lawyer crawl under a table trying to understand them. If the worst thing I get pinched for is modifying my headlights so I can see the road better then I am doing pretty good IMO.

Me too! Lol!

Mischiefse7en

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
fwiw, i think i will try the hir2 bulbs. I have some HIDs, but the color is too purple and you cant see out here in the country

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You guys quoting other websites have no credibility without a source.

~Via Mobile