HIR Headlight bulbs. Loose those HID's!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
If i wasnt going to attempt installing HIDs in the TB this weekend i would def consider this. Not sure how long the Hids are gonna stay in the truck though since im mostly just installing them to write up a How To for another forum im on.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I'm keeping my HIDs for right now, but will definitely keep these in mind for high beams or something.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Ditched my HIDs for those well over three years ago, completely happy with the results. It's just too bad the Toshiba bulbs are no longer available.

Mischiefse7en

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Compared to HID.
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/122/imagennt.jpg
/\ HID's

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/2776/imagegyk.jpg
/\ HIR's. Check the distance past the second light pole that the HIR's illuminate!

Im not sure if i believe that second picture, the first says HIDs, and you can clearly see the cut off line going down the street on the left and on the fence. And in the "HIR" picture it looks to me like hi/lo's are on bc you can still see the cut off line, but the whole fence is lit up and the building halfway down the street on the left is lil up, that seems like it would be blinding to oncoming traffic.

Not saying HIR's arent brighter, but i dont think the second pic is accurate...

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Application notes: This new Philips bulb is physically, electrically, optically, and legally compatible with all previous 9012 (HIR2) bulbs, so it can be used for all the same design-specification, replacement, and upgrade applications. It can replace the 9006 (HB4) for special-service use; such a retrofit requires minor modification to the bulb base as described hereLike all previous HIR2 bulbs, it does not have a blacked-out tip, which means it should not be used in road going headlamp or fog lamp designs that don't have a bulb shield completely covering at least the top half of the front of the bulb — a ring-style bulb shield that leaves the front of the bulb exposed to the lens is usually not sufficient.

According to this little excerpt from candle power website the new philips bulbs are not any more legal than the HID most of us are running already.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
According to this little excerpt from candle power website the new philips bulbs are not any more legal than the HID most of us are running already.

Automotive Lighting Regulations: News and Views
In 2001-2002, the US Federal Government's Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) was nominally considering changing the headlamp performance standards contained in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108. Although these standards are written by a branch of the United States government, in fact they determine the headlamp performance for the USA, Canada and Mexico. The nominal interest in possibly changing the standard arose from complaints of excessive headlamp glare from present headlamps in North America.
This document provides background on the issue and asks 46 specific questions on how glare might be addressed. Some of these questions were written so as to lead towards pre-determined conclusions. Some of the questions were phrased as if one must choose between EITHER good seeing OR low glare from a headlamp, but cannot have both. While the two goals of good seeing and good control of glare often are in direct conflict, it is certainly possible to have reasonable levels of both.
The agency's interest in addressing the problem of glare particularly, and the issues related to lighting regulation in general, are described here as "nominal" because the agency never had any real intention of doing anything significant. The public was allowed to vent via the public comment period, and then, as happened with the agency's nominal interest in reducing glare from overly-bright daytime running lights, the docket was quietly closed and nothing was done.
If you wish to gain an understanding of the issues involved and how they could be effectively addressed, you may get it here out of the glare docket, the entirety of which can be accessed here.