Help on which truck I should get!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Go with the first one! Let's be honest, most people with bed line rockets did a crappy rust repair job and bed lined over it.

Plus, we all know these trucks are great trucks, but there's that one point in their lives where it seems like everything needs fixed. It's the point where everything wears out, and on these trucks it seems to all wear out at the same time. They're great trucks before, and great trucks after, but that one point where everything needs fixed, can cost a lot of money.

The first truck seems to have most of these wear items taken care of, and that's worth a lot more then the "cool true duals" that the second truck has.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Go with the first one! Let's be honest, most people with bed line rockets did a crappy rust repair job and bed lined over it.

Plus, we all know these trucks are great trucks, but there's that one point in their lives where it seems like everything needs fixed. It's the point where everything wears out, and on these trucks it seems to all wear out at the same time. They're great trucks before, and great trucks after, but that one point where everything needs fixed, can cost a lot of money.

The first truck seems to have most of these wear items taken care of, and that's worth a lot more then the "cool true duals" that the second truck has.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

This. Couldn't have said it better myself. My old half ton had everything from brake lines blow, to a rear end locking up, to a ball joint pop out, to basically everything go wrong in the ignition system all within like, 2 months one time. It hurt. When they s*** the bed, they really s*** the bed.
I also had a friend that bought a GMT-400 with 350'000 kms on it and drove it for 5 years and the most they replaced was a fan belt.

Either way, you'll be happy, but realistically any older truck (regardless of mileage), unless you're crazy lucky, is going to have problems...but that's half the fun.

wesbest96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Between the next two days I need to decide between two almost identical trucks and I need some advice.
1996 GMC Sierra Z71
114,000 miles
towing package
5.7l
4x4 on the floor
Freshly changed oil
trans flushed
new alternater
new brakes
new front suspension parts
new Falken rocky mountain tires
cloth interior
power locks and windows
16" polished aluminum rims
a couple small rust spots

1998 GMC Sierra
144,000 miles
5.7l
4x4 push button
true dual exhaust
power locks and windows
leather interior
hardly any rust
17" black micky thompson rims
roll on bed liner on bottom door panels
Both front hub assemblies,
pitman arm,
idler arm,
ball joints have been replaced

ended up not buying either and buying a ext cab 1997 gmc sierra z71

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
If the rust is an easy repair, go for that one. Offer 4 for it.
You are a terrible haggler. lol Offer him 3500 and meet in the middle.

Luck luck with the 97, do you know if the intake gaskets have been changed? If not, replace them.

wesbest96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are a terrible haggler. lol Offer him 3500 and meet in the middle.

Luck luck with the 97, do you know if the intake gaskets have been changed? If not, replace them.

No I don't think they have how much is that repair?

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
No I don't think they have how much is that repair?

Try looking at the back of the engine, most times if the gaskets are leaking it leaks coolant down the back of the block and onto the starter. If its leaking its going to slowly eat coolant. So keep an eye on the coolant level. If it gets bad, coolant can get in the oil and ruin your bearings.

Its about $600 to fix, or $100 if you do it yourself. Make sure to get the FEL-PRO MS98000T gasket kit. It not that difficult to replace them.

Other than that it should be a reliable truck. GM just used the wrong gasket material and they go bad on every vortec 4.3/5.0/5.7