Help me decide on what motor to swap to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HIGH BOWTIE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok we'll I'm about to start workin with my buddy Makin alot more money than what I'm making now and with the truck at 217k I'm gunna try to start puttin money into it. a motor swap is high on the list after re gearing and built tranny. I really want to do an ls1 but if I got the money I'm hand for a 5.3 I couldn't say I would be able to keep saving. Just not to sure what would be an easier swap between the two or if the harder swap would be worth it Or just go 383? Plans for the truck is eventually going to be a mud toy after I buy another truck for a daily. Just wondering what y'all's input is.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a 96 an ls swap wouldn't be to involved in your truck. Add the injector an coil pack wiring into your stock harness an swap to a 411 computer.

If I had the cash that's the way I'd go. A 383 would be nice to, but with out converting to a marine or aftermarket intake your limited by the funky vortec injection to 400 HP I think, maybe 450....

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Depends if you want more than just a simple vortec 383, or a 5.3 that can be upgraded for more power a lot easier than the 383.

Each has it's fair share of work. The 383 must be removed, rebuilt and all that good stuff. The 5.3 will require removal, fitment, and wiring.

Also, are you going to rebuild the 5.3? or are to going to put an used motor with high mileage on it into your truck?

HIGH BOWTIE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I buy another motor I'm going to take my time and rebuild it. I like the 383s but there so damn expensive. So are the ls1s. My 5.3 in 04 and especially my 03 ran really good I love those motors.