HELP- Currently 6l80 in 2012 yukon trying to use 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlajuett

Reaction score
Ok, this is my first time here and I have a question. Recently I just rebuilt my engine in my 2012 yukon denali awd 6.2L. After sinking the money in this I pulled out of my driveway the other day and my torque converter tanked my 6l80 transmission. My father has a freshly rebuilt 700R4 transmission from a 99 yukon and I see that it will bolt up from other threads (where people are going from 700R4 TO 6l80) but will my denali have computer issues since the 700R4 isn't an electronic and my existing 6l80 is?

I can't bare to have to rebuild the transmission too, I'm not a mechanic just a DIY guy whose good with tools

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any then there is the issue of getting the TV cable to work. Sounds like a major hassle. I'd find a pick and pull and put some sweat equity into it before I'd try stuffing a 700r4 under it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My gut feeling is that by the time you made everything work (especially making the computer happy again when it sees about a million error codes from the newer electronic transmission no longer being there) you'd have more time and money invested swapping the 700R4 in than you would if you'd just had the 6L80E rebuilt.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a overall bad idea. Yes older vehicles can be upgraded with 6L80 as it's almost a stand alone system with its own computer. 700 is a dinosaur compared. No smarts, what about the AWD , traction control, torque shift or balance split. CAN bus integrated electronics? Is there a connection between your working on it and sudden breakdown.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like your dad actually has a 4L60E. The 4L60/700R4s ended in '93. You could probably swap it in, but behind a 6.2? They're already reputed to be glass transmissions. That's a sure recipe for trouble.

If it actually is a 700R4, getting the TV cable mounted and working right is going to be a royal pain in the butt. If you get it wrong, that brand new rebuild gets trashed.