HELP! Cracked Axle Tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gamikatsu

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warner Robins GA (South of Atlanta 1.5 Hr)
So i have managed to crack my Axle Tube.. 4x4ing (really long story i'l post it later). its the passenger side axle tube, bolts to the Pumpkin. is their a place i can buy this? or can i repair it (welding?) or what. i really need to get my truck back up. i'm thinking of going to the pick a part... anyone else had to do this? how much do the tubes typically cost?

Ed.

BTW its hte 8.25" front IFS.

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
You can weld it back up but I would make sure nothing else is bent. Axle or the tube on both side of the pumpkin. I have twisted the tube a few times... I weld the tube to the pumpkin right away...

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
buy the whole axel from pick a part if i understand what part it is its the axel shaft from the wheel to the pumpkin correct? you dont want to be welding that

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
buy the whole axel from pick a part if i understand what part it is its the axel shaft from the wheel to the pumpkin correct? you dont want to be welding that
Why? It high recommend to weld the axle tube to the pumpkin on all chevy rear ends . The reason for welding the axle tube to the pumpkin is that they are press in from the factory. The tube like to twist in the pumpkin when under a load.

Gamikatsu

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Axle is fine, its just the passenger side axle tube, on the FRONT of the truck. i was under their with a buddy last night and i'm thinking of pulling the tube, cleaning the insdie and outside, and then welding it back up. doing two small tack welds on it, one top one bottom, then use a MIG with alum wire and the appropriate gas (argon? my buddies hte welder not me) and running a dual or tripple bead the whole way around it. we were then talking about taking some 1/2 or 3/4" bar stock the length of the tube, on 2 or 4 sides, and welding it up and down, for reinforcing. seems i can't find just the axle tube, all the bone yards want me to buy the whole axle for 300+. it doesn't look like the tube supports weight at all because even cracked all the way around, its still sitting 100% straight. thats the ONLY reason i'm considering welding it to repair.

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
If you are welding on a crack you need to drill a hole above and below the cracked area. If not when you add heat/stress the crack will run and get longer even thought it's welded.

Gamikatsu

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please Explain.... i have an idea.... but clarification would help. the tube cracked accross it, so its currently two seperate pieces, but i don't have a jack to get the truck off the ground right now, i'm working on finding a lift that will let me use it. so the tube goes like this
-----------------------
/
-----------------------

if you get my drift... were going to weld a couple of lengthwize bars to keep it more rigid.