Heavy Towing questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
And there arw 1000 more cases of guys who can't keep a built 4L60 alive. You're ignoring how much of a load weight and prolonged abuse puts on a drivetrain. It'd be cheaper to run a stock 6L90 and you'd have much shorter shifts and a wider ratio spread. Think about it: that 6.2 will only run off of its own computer. The kind that is capable of talking to a 6L90 without modification. Plus the 6L90 holds the power in stock form with stock reliability. Sounds like a no brained to me.

I'll definitely take it under advisement, the cost of rebuilding my 4L60E would be about the same as a reman 6L90E. Thanks

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
The guys I know who run late model drivetrains in drag cars want built 4L80E's, not 4L60E's.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
The guys I know who run late model drivetrains in drag cars want built 4L80E's, not 4L60E's.
Maybe street driven cars. But on purpose built drag car it's more likely to be a th 400. Of a 60e depending on power level. The 80es eat alot more power than the 60s.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Maybe street driven cars. But on purpose built drag car it's more likely to be a th 400. Of a 60e depending on power level. The 80es eat alot more power than the 60s.

OK man. You know the 4L80E is the next generation of the TH400, right?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

A real drag car that has balls benefits far more from hooking up better with the taller 1st gear than what it loses to the additional parasitic drag. Plus I don't think it's too crazy to think they're using that 4th gear on the big end.

brutpwr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you regear do 4:56's. When you do it I'd consider swapping in 8 lug 3/4 ton axles even if you can only afford to do the rear at first. The stock semi floater is not good for 10,000 lb trailers. I'm not sure if the hd semifloater is any better axle bearing wise but I'd guess if it has a higher pound rating perhaps it might be ok. Regardless the 3/4 ton stuff is very bulletproof with the right chose of differential components and has way better brake options. Forget the 4L60e for heavy duty towing and high torque I tried that for years and like clockwork they went away at 12-13k miles:( behind a supercharged small block 355 before I saw the light and graduated to the Turbo 400 based 4L80e. Try and pick tires that are good to 80 psi but 65 psi can be ok especially in larger sizes and with wide rims. Without a supercharger at high altitudes you will like the gear spreads a lot better with 4:56 gears as long as you keep tires around 31-32 but for sure try not to go above 33 and yes I've tried it with 35's. If you want to run 35's or bigger you need a diesel or at the very least a strong big block.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
8 lug stuff does not bolt in up front. You can convert, but not without some cutting and welding. Upper control arm mounting ears are also way different. 6 lug 14 bolt rear end is the way to go.