Heavy Towing questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
So I have a 99 K1500 Suburban with the 5.7, 4L60E, and 3.73 gears (no G80). I've put some 32x11.5R15 tires on it, cranked up the torsion bars just a touch to clear the tires (the still rub on occasion on the front valance) and added an add-a-leaf to the back. Also replaced all 4 shocks and completely rebuilt the rear brakes and have new, good front brakes.

https://goo.gl/photos/NQ1KdFNNX3cJ5ZJo8

I have a 10k lb car hauler open-deck trailer I use from time to time for various purposes. It weighs in at just a hair over 3000 lbs empty, double axle, both have electric brakes (and I have a good brake controllers). I have put 1000 lbs on it several times and towed it hundreds of miles. And I put a car on it a few times that weighs about 3700 lbs. It always tows just fine, barely feels like the trailer is back there. I have mostly been on pretty flat ground with it so far though.

I'm just finishing up a build on my C6 Vette right now, and once that is done I will turn some attention to the truck. Over the next 6-12 months I plan to beef up the truck a bit and give it some more grunt. I plan to buy a nice bumper pull RV next year and we would like to take some longer trips with it, maybe over the mountains. This is the list of what I will be doing, any input on things that may help for towing would be appreciated. This list is by no means complete and yes I have more than done my homework on this and have sources for the supporting parts.
L92 6.2L engine with tuning and aftermarket cam (I tune with HPTuners) - engine is similar to the LS3
Rebuild 4L60E for towing / severe use and add large transmission cooler
14 bolt 9.5" SF rear end with 4.10 gears and electronic locker (change front to 4.10 as well)

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I'd want more gear with those tires and the towing you're talking about.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I concur with the 2 gents above, especially "through the mountains". how big of an RV?......I hope those are load range E tires as well......basically you'll have a light duty 3/4 ton without the chassis. make sure your tongue weight is correct, i'd go with a load equalizing setup myself.............better safe than sorry.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
I thought about going with 4.56 gears instead, but I do drive the vehicle quite a bit without towing as well and don't want to completely kill my gas mileage. I was thinking that with the extra power from the new engine (should be around 420 rwhp, 440 rwtq), I would be fine with 4.10 but open to considering it.

The mountains in question would be the Appalachians near the NC/TN area mostly (typically staying under 4000' and sticking to interstates). I don't think we would ever do a cross country and tackle the Rockies.

Most of the RV's we have been looking at would be around 7500-8000 lbs loaded with a hitch weight of between 650-800 lbs.

I was going to get some new wheels and tires soon, and was looking at the BFG KO2 tires in 275/70R16 which are load range 119 or 2998 lbs per tire, or in LT275/65R17 which are load range 121 or 3197 lbs per tire. Both are roughly 31.2" tall by 10.8" wide. My current tires make too much noise.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Stock tires are 31" tall and I doubt your 32s are actually 32" tall. 4.10 would do you good. If you're going through the asspain of a genIV swap, may as well get do a 6L90 swap as well. HPTUNERS would likely allow you to piecemeal that together. I would not trust a 4L60 to handle that much power and tie it to that much weight. Have you priced the swap? I saw motor/trans/computer/harness packages in the 5k range. How much do you really like that truck?

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
I'll be spending about $10k when all said and done probably. A 4L60E with the right rebuild can easily handle over 800 lb ft of torque and can be specifically built for towing. A 6L90 would require a lot more changes, including custom shafts and custom shift linkages.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
And there arw 1000 more cases of guys who can't keep a built 4L60 alive. You're ignoring how much of a load weight and prolonged abuse puts on a drivetrain. It'd be cheaper to run a stock 6L90 and you'd have much shorter shifts and a wider ratio spread. Think about it: that 6.2 will only run off of its own computer. The kind that is capable of talking to a 6L90 without modification. Plus the 6L90 holds the power in stock form with stock reliability. Sounds like a no brained to me.