Heavy Towing questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
A real drag car that has balls benefits far more from hooking up better with the taller 1st gear than what it loses to the additional parasitic drag. Plus I don't think it's too crazy to think they're using that 4th gear on the big end.
We are talking about 420 hp if you read the post

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
8 lug stuff does not bolt in up front. You can convert, but not without some cutting and welding. Upper control arm mounting ears are also way different. 6 lug 14 bolt rear end is the way to go.

Agreed, I went through this with my old 96 pickup. I had a supercharger on it and did the 9.5" 14-bolt (6-lug) swap. Doing the 10.5" 14-bolt swap just isn't worth it, getting the front end to match up is a pain.

brutpwr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, I went through this with my old 96 pickup. I had a supercharger on it and did the 9.5" 14-bolt (6-lug) swap. Doing the 10.5" 14-bolt swap just isn't worth it, getting the front end to match up is a pain.

Did not know the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton front ends were not easily "bolt in" swapable and I have a 1/2 ton Tahoe and a 3/4 ton Suburban. One thing I forgot to mention is you generally won't want to tow much if at all in overdrive with even a built 4L60 especially if your towing heavy. The gear splits are way closer in a 4L80e which helps in the hills. Also if you go big block you can run regular fuel vs a Supercharged small block requires premium fuel. Also the big block is easier to keep temps down when hot out vs a hot higher reving supercharged small block.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, not that important. Just curious. Sounds healthy though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk