Headliner install, anyone do this to a rclb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dunno about style headliner but I can tell you in TX you need not worry about your back windows, you could spray paint them solid black if you like. Or to be more realistic, any level of tint you prefer. 35% would be good as you would still have night time visibility.

Where TX gets upset about tint is if you do front door windows darker than 35%, or any tint at all on the windshield.

Richard

I like the flexibility of being able to get a clearer picture like when loaded or backing into spaces at night that any tint doesn't allow.

Plus any small towns that don't like my TEXAS plates I may drive through I can get around their tint codes. Think Roscoe P. Coltraine and Boss Hawg. Lol.

Plus if the sun is worse through the side window I can pull one and use it there.

Multiple uses for $4-5 items.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lay the material over the H/L panel. You'll need it to be a couple of inches larger all around.
Roll it back 1/2 from side-to-side. Spray the glue on both the panel & the material. A very light coat on the material. Very light! Too much & it'll soak into it. Let the glue tack up some. Another light coat on the material. The first coat should be dry before the 2nd coat. The first one will help to prevent the 2nd from soaking through.
Start from the center & lightly press the material down, working to the outer edges. Repeat for the other 1/2.
Don't press the fabric down in the center too hard when doing the first 1/2. If you do, there will be a crease mark in the center.
The actual real H/L material is stretchy. To do the outer corners where the H/L is curved, hold the material up a bit from the panel & pull it slightly while pressing out any wrinkles with the other hand, working from the inside to the out.
By letting the glue dry a bit & by lightly pressing it down by hand, the fabric can be lifted if it's wrong or has a wrinkle with a quick snap up of the material. Rollers will leave marks. This is a job best done by hand & feel.
Once it's all down, then you can use more pressure by hand to get the glue to stick well.
Flip the H/L over & glue the extra material hanging off around the edges along with the back of the H/L about 2 or 3" up. Wrap the material around making any cuts or kerfs to allow the fabric to fit the outer contours of the panel. Small cuts at first. You can always nip them a bit bigger if needed. Too much of a cut & it may be seen when the H/L is in the truck. Multiple small cuts work better than one large cut.
Other places where the material bunches up can be squeezed together & then cut off flush.
After that, cut out the holes for the light & the visors. O/H console too, if you have one.
Pretty much exactly how I did my headliner.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification on using a roller or not. Headliner is going to be about the next thing I do as I need to get that done before installing a console. I have an idea for modding a console that either is going to be a huge flop or the slickest thing since owl poop. Can't wait to try it. If my idea turns out as I think it will make consoles a lot more useful.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you guys know if there is a difference between the W/T headliner board and the one for the "nicer" trucks or is the additional trim the only difference? The reason I ask is that it appears that my headliner board is in pretty sad shape in a few places and I am not sure if it will survive removal. I may want to get another board on a junkyard run and if so need to know what to look for.

EDIT -- since this question seems to keep coming up in various places with not many answers I finally posted it as a separate thread and got some good answers. So as not to bug the OP's thread any more.. here it is ... the answers about the differences between the two types of standard cab headliner.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/this-question-keeps-coming-up-does-anyone-know.40155/

Last edited: