headlight restore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnnyRingo

Shut your Butt
Reaction score
I'll try to get this section going. i recently cleaned up my headlights (took care of the yellow film that builds up).
I first used toothpaste and scrubbed down the whole light really good. then wet sanded the lens with 1000 grit. after drying really well i hit it with some blue magic exterior plastic cleaner/polish (same company that makes the best chrome polish). last but not least the platinum turtle wax. it easy to do, took very little time, and save a few dollars.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
i did similar, i sanded mine, then buffed with compound. then waxed it to seal it up

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
ANother option is to grab a brown scotchbrite and sand away on them until most of the yellowing is gone. Spray them with a good automotive clear (not the cheap vatozone stuff) and they're like new. Mine have been like this for years.

JohnnyRingo

Shut your Butt
Reaction score
ANother option is to grab a brown scotchbrite and sand away on them until most of the yellowing is gone. Spray them with a good automotive clear (not the cheap vatozone stuff) and they're like new. Mine have been like this for years.

yeah that was another idea i had, was clear them instead of waxing but i decided throwing a little wax on every now and then wasn't to bad. also when i did it i didnt have time to let the truck sit with wet clear either.

SCORCH

Reaction score

your talking about clear cote paint right? any brand of preference/certain kind?

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
i tried the 10 dollar restoration kit at walmart... it sucked ass.. definitely better than they were.. but still sucked. i was rummaging through my father-in-laws shop the other day, and I FOUND AN OEM PAIR OF HEADLIGHTS!!! covered in years of dust, but i asked him if he needed them for anything, and he couldnt think of anything... so i have a free set of oem headlights and i am a happy camper lol. now i need a set of bumper lights..

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
i tried the 10 dollar restoration kit at walmart... it sucked ass.. definitely better than they were.. but still sucked. i was rummaging through my father-in-laws shop the other day, and I FOUND AN OEM PAIR OF HEADLIGHTS!!! covered in years of dust, but i asked him if he needed them for anything, and he couldnt think of anything... so i have a free set of oem headlights and i am a happy camper lol. now i need a set of bumper lights..

Which kit was that?

Anyone use this?

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G1900

Last edited: