Headlight bulb upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm. I'd like to see some hids in there aswell then (out of curiosity). You've got atleast a 1000 lumen difference

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty much every bulb swap is going to blind people no matter how they are aimed... Cut offs aren't the cure all either, they still glare. I don't usually use stereotypes but most HID users think it's the cool thing to blind people so they either purposely misaim their headlights or use high beams in town, and they will tell you this.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whatever the setup Led/hid projector or reflector or factory for that matter there's always the guy in a car with his ass 1 foot off the ground crying.

I've been putting led truck lite housings in our fleet vehicles that are having problems burning out headlights.. And by design they have almost perfect clean cutoff
You must be registered for see images

That's why I'm leaning more toward the increased output amplifies scattered light more. But.. There's a ton of different housing out there. And led bulb styles for that matter. Either way they need to be aimed correctly.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
The Truck Lite housings like you pictured (or similar complete replacements) are the way to go if you want LEDs. Last picture I posted on the last page is HIDs vs halogens. You'll notice there, the beam pattern doesn't change like it does going from halogens to LEDs. There is no extra scatter just because of the brighter light.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In every example I've seen, they're FAR worse than HIDs. Here's HID vs Halogen in the same housings.

You must be registered for see images attach

From what I've seen, these are the logical upgrades in a logical order depending on how far you want to go.

-Upgraded Halogens
-HIDs in good quality reflector housings
-Complete LED sealed beam style replacement (not just a bulb)
-Quality projector retrofit with HIDs
Yeah the truck lite leds are pretty sick.

Are these projector housings used here?

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. Those are projectors in 2006 and 2007 4Runners. First comparison I posted of halogen vs LED was in GMT400 composite housings.

With projectors there won't be much of a difference between halogen and HID. I've not seen anyone put a LED bulb in a projector I would guess it would be fine. HID's in reflectors are the problem, that's just a horrific combination even with the glare caps...

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
See with the projectors your getting the nice cut-off and I would assume with a led setup in a projector it will yield the same results.

I think my only disagreement was that a led will scatter more light.
You must be registered for see images
I guess If you did the same test with a 3rd setup (hid) it will scatter more light than the Led. (my thinking)

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
I've not seen anyone put a LED bulb in a projector I would guess it would be fine. HID's in reflectors are the problem, that's just a horrific combination even with the glare caps...

I have to disagree there. Projectors and reflectors are a lot more similar than most people apparently think. They both have a focal point and if you screw with where the bulb is in the housing or the way the light is distributed from the focal point it will completely ruin the optics of the setup and throw your beam off. The lens in a projector doesn't use magic to project light, it uses angles. Light hits at the wrong angle, it's going to go the wrong direction. Same thing when light hits a reflector at the wrong angle. My point is, if you think HIDs are bad and throw light everywhere, then don't bother with LEDs in reflector housings.

If LEDs output light in a similar enough matter to work fine in a halogen projector, then there'd be no reason for them to throw the pattern off as far as we know they do in reflectors.