Headers Vs. Manifolds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would work nice if I had a welder.. lol a shop though could have done it though. never thought of that. Oh well haha. Headers will look nice on it! :D:D:D

Well you do have a good point there.............Make sure you keep checking the header bolts to make sure they stay tight

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh man I know.. I had to do that all the time with my sbc s10.. Pain in the butt. Only thing I am hoping with these headers is that it does not make changing the spark plugs a pain in the ass. I know with the headers on my sb in my s10 it sucked.. Also going to spray the manifold bolts down with pb blaster quite a few times before I try to removed them due to not wanting to break them off in the head..

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
You will enjoy the stainless... I bought the Pacesetters talked about earlier in the thread, sandblasted them and painted them with heat resistant paint. This was less than a year ago and they are rusting already. Also mine fit good with no leaks. Fitting them did take a little finagaling and messing with bolt alignment for awhile though

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
Well you do have a good point there.............Make sure you keep checking the header bolts to make sure they stay tight

That is a good point... do yourself a favor and buy a good set, possibly even a set of the locking type. I installed mine with the included bolts and they back out a good ways every 2-3 months. Whenever I here it leaking I just grab a wrench and tighten them back up.

I also bought a good set of gaskets, which I should have done in the first place. I ended up replacing the included gaskets not long after installing them

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ones they come with are usually always junk.. recommend any good brand that doesnt leak.. or less prone to leak..

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Hi-temp locktite/antiseize combo is your friend on header bolts.....I didn't believe it was possible to have both locking compound AND antiseize in one tube, but I tried this store brand **** years ago from napa on spark plugs that kept coming loose, and it held them from rattling loose, but with a 1/2" drive ratchet, I could take them out too. Now someone needs to help me find it again....my plugs are coming loose on my F**d :nono:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine had the y pipe removed and was duals, but I had manifolds in their place and when I removed them for shorties they bolted right up, no leaks at all, no lower gasket and IMO the ONLY way to go with them.

I used the hardware that came with them, and only had bolts back loose twice, once was a head side bolt, no issues just noticed it was loose. The other time was after I had the pipes off and put em back on, started driving after a day or so I lost 2 nuts on the collector of the PS pipe, maybe I just didn't tighten them enough.

Only thing I had to do myself was make a spacer to fit my ps or alt. bracket up front, I just used an old socket that was cracked. They come with them but none was the right thickness or hole sze for what I needed.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think, oddly enough, tires play a big part in bolts backing out. My Jeep has a 305 and Hedman headers. Only driven a few hundred miles and had to tighten the header bolts 4-5 times. It has LTB tires and I have to tighten bolts pretty much constantly. I've actually lost a fender bolt.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
That can be true....but the vibrations just tell you where you needa add more locktite!!! :p

Mine had a stage-2 gmpp 350 with longtubes and turndowns sitting on kelly co-ops....if there's anything that vibrates more than co-ops, I haven't seen it yet lol.