Headers Vs. Manifolds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea mine had no air provision only down side to them but I did away with mine anyways. egr you can keep unless you have a vortec where it feeds off the manifold then you need another set of headers. I paid like $122 shipped for mine from tuning pros.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah that is what I meant the AIR.. i said egr earlier today I was still in bed. haha. I would like to do away with all that so them headers will work alright for me. Just getting the money to do it with.. lol. The stainless still look good on them headers over time?

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The AIR injection is just a gimmick anyways. It basically pollutes the exhaust gases with fresh air making the exhaust more cleaner. But in reality it's putting out the same emissions, just appears that its not. I bought a set of Edelbrock headers for my truck and it has AIR provisions, I think that's odd. I'd rather not have AIR and my truck never had it.
If this thread is talking about your '88, then EGR shouldn't affect anything dealing with your exhaust manifolds.

Oh, and headers usually require the use of 90 degree spark plug wires for all plug wires. My Edelbrock kit came with 2 boots and 2 terminals.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just ordered them headers off of ebay! haha. Hoping to get them by the end of this week.. leaking bad haha

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hoping Chris( swims350) you can clarify a few things on these headers for me due to never buying a set like these.. Do they come with donut gaskets or doe the y pipe bolt right up that that ball? It come with hardware to bolt the y pipe to the headers? Does the y pipe actually line up worth a ****? I have put headers on before, but had an exhaust shop weld up all the piping for it. You can give me some info I would appreciate it.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Hoping Chris( swims350) you can clarify a few things on these headers for me due to never buying a set like these.. Do they come with donut gaskets or doe the y pipe bolt right up that that ball? It come with hardware to bolt the y pipe to the headers? Does the y pipe actually line up worth a ****? I have put headers on before, but had an exhaust shop weld up all the piping for it. You can give me some info I would appreciate it.

You don't need a donut gasket for those...the ball and socket flange will seal to the stock y-pipe. As for fitment, when I did mine it wasn't great but I also put on an offroad y-pipe at the same time

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't tell me that.. haha I HATE i mean HATE leaky headers or y pipes.. most annoying sound ever.. haha guess I will find out. I didnt think you have to use a gasket.. just making sure! Hopefully it will seal and all go smooth because next Monday I will be outta town for a month so I need it at tip top shape!

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I see I'm a little late but if you had dedcided on replacing the studs, instead of drilling them you can weld a nut to them if they are broke off flush or sticking out. Works Great.

I did it with my broken head bolt, 4 manifold donut studs, 3 exhaust manifold bolts that were broken flush with the cyl. head.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Don't tell me that.. haha I HATE i mean HATE leaky headers or y pipes.. most annoying sound ever.. haha guess I will find out. I didnt think you have to use a gasket.. just making sure! Hopefully it will seal and all go smooth because next Monday I will be outta town for a month so I need it at tip top shape!

Haha, I was saying that yours will probably fit better than mine because I replaced my y-pipe with a cheap Jegs brand one and that could have been the cause of the bad fitment. Hopefully your install with go smoother with the stock y-pipe

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I see I'm a little late but if you had dedcided on replacing the studs, instead of drilling them you can weld a nut to them if they are broke off flush or sticking out. Works Great.

I did it with my broken head bolt, 4 manifold donut studs, 3 exhaust manifold bolts that were broken flush with the cyl. head.

This would work nice if I had a welder.. lol a shop though could have done it though. never thought of that. Oh well haha. Headers will look nice on it! :D:D:D