Head Units

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkh_524

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
kenwoods blue tooth is awesome. i use it all the time with mine and have no problem at all. but im sure all the other name brands are awesome also

qukon 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Again it all depends on what you want. What ever the specs are on that unit I can almost guarantee they are way overrated. If you don't buy car audio equipment from a reputable company you're going to get crap with pretty much no exceptions. The specs I find important on a head unit are signal to noise ratio(basically the quality of the signal being sent to the speakers) and the pre-amp voltage (the higher the voltage the stronger the signal you send to your amplifier). Another very nice thing about having high pre-amp voltage is that the higher you go on this voltage spec it gives you a wider the range of voltage you can send to your subwoofer ie your subwoofer level setting on your amp. As a quick example, the head unit I have now has 2 volt pre-amp outputs. I can change the subwoofer level on the unit itself but there is basically an off, loud, and louder setting. I had a kenwood head unit that had 4 volt outputs, I could dial the subs from off, very low, daily driving volume, loud and louder. Its not 100% needed but I will never buy another head unit with only 2 volt outputs because that is just my preference.

Another note, a Hifonics amp for $140 that says it does 1400 watts RMS will only put out roughly 900-1000 watts RMS. A JBL amp for $399 that says it puts out 1450 watts RMS will put out about 1700-1800 watts RMS. I have a JBL BPX500.1 that says 500 watts RMS on the box, since these amps are individually assembled they each come with their own specific birth sheet of specs which they test on a bench before boxing up the amp (a birth sheet will only come with very high end brands). My birth sheet says my amp put out 792 watts RMS on the bench. Also if yours thinking of getting 2 cheaper amps to make up the voltage don't. Spend the money and get a high quality stuff, the clarity and sound quality of my expensive, "lower end voltage" (not a million watts RMS like everyone wants) absolutely CAN NOT be matched by any cheap-o amp on the market.

FYI for all you audio enthusiasts out there, you can determine RMS output of any amplifier by multiplying the fuse rating on the amp by the amount of voltage you are putting into the amp. Always use 14.4v as a reference as this is what your alternator should be putting out when the vehicle is running. The hifonics amp mentioned above has a fuse rating of 70 amps, the JBL has a fuse rating of 120 amps.

If anyone needs help on setting up a system please PM me I would be happy to help. Also anyone is located in south east Michigan that needs help picking out equipment or installing their system let me know I love doing this stuff!

my old kenwoods x979,x 679 has 5v pre amps outs.

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
I put a KDC-X496 in my truck wish I would have bought the X896 looking back now oh well there's always next year :D

Crewcab Steve.

qukon 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Kenwood exelon Head units all have 4 volt pre amp outputs when you want to up grade.