Head Units

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcoatswo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't want top of the line and you want an in dash DVD I would suggest Jensen over other cheaper end brands. I had a Jensen flip out before and it was a fairly decent radio. Remember though, if you are dead set on an in dash DVD you will sacrifice all sound quality until you get into the $800-$2000 range for these types of units. That being said basically in your price range you can get a middle of the line CD deck with some good features OR you can get a bottom of the line in dash DVD player.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Stock premium sound radio from 1998 with one of these:

You must be registered for see images attach

then the Iphone 4S and it does everything I could want.

slapped in one of these:

and wired in the audio controls and i can do it all from the wheel

Then, in went one of these:

and it hands-free Bluetooth's to the phone. Combined with Siri voice control, I can control the Iphone hands-free to open navigation, playlists, phone, text, etc and it all comes out of the factory stereo head unit.

It's actually pretty neat when it's all up an running. i just get in the truck, turn on the radio and the phone links it all up automatically through Bluetooth. I used to have to build car computers to get this level of integration. Now, a couple pieces of hardware, a couple programs and a little setup up work is all it takes.

What a wonderful new world we live in....

Last edited:

bagged92sdime

Reaction score
Like others have said, depends on what you want out of your head unit. I am running a Pioneer Premier head unit. I've run JVC (wasn't a huge fan), Pioneer (had mostly good luck) and Soundstream (love their products, but for head units, they suck...They're nice but don't feel quality). If I was looking into a nice head unit for every day use, I'd look into Pioneer or their Premier line. A nice touchscreen double din, I'd go with an Alpine (messed with them here and there and they seem pretty nice).

Just my $.02

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ooooh! What is that out of? Does the airbag retain it's functionality? Can the controls be made to operate aftermarket H/U's?

Cts and cts-v.

Lots on the used market because tue heated grid fails all the time. So bad gm discontinued them.

Dunno about airbag, mine doesnt have one (k2500). I made a fiberglass cover for the center section and to work the horn.

It would be a total guess if i were to say the caddy bag works with anything else besides a caddy. Ive got an opinion, but i won't put it out there becuase, well that would irresponsible.

Audio controls are resistive so work as per if they are the values you need. Mine is getting hacked to run the oem radio (and cruise buttons also), but i suppose you could adapt one of the aftermarket interfaces like with an oem.

Plus, you need a clockspring that has enough wires to make it all work...

jcoatswo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stats are good on the Kenwood KDC-X696. Good Features for the money, seen it on crutchfield for $150 so you could most likely get it cheaper elsewhere. One good thing about crutchfield is their customer service is phenomenal. I have nothing but good things to say about the way crutchfield does business, unless you're getting a huge price difference somewhere else I HIGHLY recommend ordering from them.

Remember you're going to use your radio pretty much 365 days a year so if on nothing else car audio wise I always splurge on the head unit, its the brains and face of your system. If you have a couple of more bucks to spend check out this head unit http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_48312_Alpine-CDE-HD138BT.html again I am a little bias on alpine products in this category.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stats are good on the Kenwood KDC-X696. Good Features for the money, seen it on crutchfield for $150 so you could most likely get it cheaper elsewhere. One good thing about crutchfield is their customer service is phenomenal. I have nothing but good things to say about the way crutchfield does business, unless you're getting a huge price difference somewhere else I HIGHLY recommend ordering from them.

Remember you're going to use your radio pretty much 365 days a year so if on nothing else car audio wise I always splurge on the head unit, its the brains and face of your system. If you have a couple of more bucks to spend check out this head unit http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_48312_Alpine-CDE-HD138BT.html again I am a little bias on alpine products in this category.

Thanks for the reply,

The Alpine has always been my head unit of choice and have spent bank on previouse systems, but I'm looking for a good Bluetooth head unit and the alpine did not score to high. The exact unit above is the one I was going to purchase . I can get the Kenwood for $125 shipped and the difference being $175 would pay for my speaker upgrade. I was hoping to get some feedback on the Kenwood before I buy.

(Edit) ok I just checked your link and $225 is not a bad deal for that unit at all, just might have to go back to Alpine again!

Last edited: