Any suggestions for routing backup camera video wire to head unit in a ‘96 Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. Mine has rear A/C as well. Funny thing is I was just looking at that spot yesterday, to check the drain tube, which disintegrated when I touched it. I’ll go back and look at it as an entry point. Did you also get power for the camera at the passenger side taillight?
Personally, I wanted to be able to use the camera whether I was in reverse or not, so I pulled power from one of the rear blower relays that was hot with ignition on. My head unit lets me open the camera at will so this was a better solution for me.

If you want to have it pop up automatically with the reverse lights, I'd pull from a tail light or tap into the trailer wiring harness using one of the trailer adapter harnesses from the big box stores.

Side note, you can only replace that seal with the rear evap box out, while you are in there with the wires I'd recommend replacing it. Mine is shot too. GM GENUINE 155420

dmhscorpion

Reaction score
I ran
I’m about to start into a backup camera installation in my ‘96 K2500 Suburban, and am interested in seeing how other Suburban owners have routed the video wire from the camera to the head unit. Youtube videos of BU camera installation in an OBS Suburban are not all that common.

I’m hoping a few folks here have done this, and are willing to share what they’ve learned.
Thanks
I ran mine underneath, using RG6 coax. The coax that came with the camera was suspect. RCA to F connectors are available.
I’m about to start into a backup camera installation in my ‘96 K2500 Suburban, and am interested in seeing how other Suburban owners have routed the video wire from the camera to the head unit. Youtube videos of BU camera installation in an OBS Suburban are not all that common.

I’m hoping a few folks here have done this, and are willing to share what they’ve learned.
Thanks

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did mine I ran it down low. From the bumper up into the space behind the driver side tail light. Tapped the reverse light circuit there, then ran it inside the cabin through the fender cover behind the spare tire, under both driver side door sill plates, and up into the dash behind the hood release kick panel.

Can't remember exactly where I brought the wire in, done too many cams on too many vehicles, but pretty sure I just punched a new hole under the barn door sill plate and added a grommet.

Previous owner did the one on my Tahoe. They drilled through the driver's footwell panel under the carpet and ran the wire externally along the frame from there to the camera.
I'm running mine in my regular cab Silverado similar to the way it was run in your Tahoe except I ran the video wire under the carpet and exited the cab behind the driver seat (1/2" hole so I could get the RCA plug through with a big grommet that I cut to fit around the wire) and then along the frame. I tapped the connection behind the driver side tail light, as well.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personally, I wanted to be able to use the camera whether I was in reverse or not, so I pulled power from one of the rear blower relays that was hot with ignition on. My head unit lets me open the camera at will so this was a better solution for me.

If you want to have it pop up automatically with the reverse lights, I'd pull from a tail light or tap into the trailer wiring harness using one of the trailer adapter harnesses from the big box stores.

Side note, you can only replace that seal with the rear evap box out, while you are in there with the wires I'd recommend replacing it. Mine is shot too. GM GENUINE 155420
You could put in an A-B switch and use it either way.