head gasket kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Like Fast Orange said, that kit is for the Gen I small blocks. And besides, they charge aprox $9.95 shipping and handling. So for another 5 or 6 dollars you can walk into Orielly's and buy the good stuff.. :handshake:

Exactly, Cant go wrong with Fel-Pro stuff.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used cometic MLS head gaskets when I did mine, they've been good, especially with my sporatic forced induction going on. I will only use the aluminum fel pro intake gaskets though, they're by far the best for a vortec, they probably make a good one for TBI as well. I've never had a problem with their oil pan gaskets either. I hate the felpro valve cover gaskets though, I use the delco ones there.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
...... I hate the felpro valve cover gaskets though, I use the delco ones there.

Could you explain that, please? I've got a 454, so the info probably won't be valid for my truck, but I'd still like to know....... Dad has a 350.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the blue felpro VC gaskets (I think they are the permadry ones?) are purposefully made slightly undersized, so you have to stretch them onto the valve covers, the problem I have with them is that every valve cover I've used (stock and aftermarket) has no way of holding the gasket on under tension, it just instantly comes off as soon as you let go. which makes it a severe PITA to try and hold all 4 corners of the cover gasket on while simultaneously trying to place the valve cover on the head and bolt it down.

I'm sure if you could get the damn thing on there and bolted up it would probably seal up just fine, but I don't see the need for all the difficulty when the stock gasket is a very good one and is properly sized, and in the same price range.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea i ran up to my local auto parts store and asked them and they had that fel pro kit for 51.99. now just one of these weekends i'll be pulling those heads hoping to fix that oil leak once and for all. Thanks everyone!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
the blue felpro VC gaskets ...................... it just instantly comes off as soon as you let go.

Now that you mention it, I think I've seen someone complain about that before. That does sound like a majot pain in the butt.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
the blue felpro VC gaskets (I think they are the permadry ones?) are purposefully made slightly undersized, so you have to stretch them onto the valve covers, the problem I have with them is that every valve cover I've used (stock and aftermarket) has no way of holding the gasket on under tension, it just instantly comes off as soon as you let go. which makes it a severe PITA to try and hold all 4 corners of the cover gasket on while simultaneously trying to place the valve cover on the head and bolt it down.

I'm sure if you could get the damn thing on there and bolted up it would probably seal up just fine, but I don't see the need for all the difficulty when the stock gasket is a very good one and is properly sized, and in the same price range.

Yea, the VCgaskets are a PITA, i put a dab of silicone on each corer of the corner to hold them, works great.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have those blue fel pro gaskets in my valve covers right now. they weren't to big of a problem for me...i have edelbrock valve covers though