Header Gasket Part Numbers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another tip to preventing leaks is to use the longest bolts you can even if you have to buy them longer than the holes are deep and custom cut them. I use like to use 1-1/4" long bolts in SBC's but they are damn near extinct unless you buy the fancy kits with the notched washers and E-clips. When using the long bolts you have to just start two bolts to hold the header up than start the rest and work them all in together.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red locktite on aluminum? Hope you don't hate yourself later on.
Nope, plus I bottomed them out in the holes. If I have to get them out, I figured I'd have to drill them and heli-coil, ha ha

In the mean time - no leaks or loosening bolts :waytogo: Drastic circumstances call for measures. YMMV ;)

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ideally, studs are not bottomed-out in the holes.

Some guys drop a small ball-bearing into the hole, so the stud can bottom against the bearing instead of the last thread cut into the hole. I've never bothered. IF I'm using threadlocker on studs, I get the stud with threadlocker and activator (if used) in place, and then get it torqued (partially, if not fully) before the threadlocker sets-up. That way the threadlocker "cures" with the stud already under tension.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, plus I bottomed them out in the holes. If I have to get them out, I figured I'd have to drill them and heli-coil, ha ha

In the mean time - no leaks or loosening bolts :waytogo: Drastic circumstances call for measures. YMMV ;)
Hmm,some how I missed that you used studs. Harley EVO's and twin cams use exhaust studs and yeah,they work. Rarely do you see header pipes loose on those.
Special flanged nuts?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You were able to get 9/16" hex nuts with the flange and the wrench in there too? I've got a special 7/16" box end wrench that I thinned the OD of the box end to get in under header tubes that curl around over the bolt heads and sometimes it can be tight in there. I hate dinging pipes to get the wrench on but I've had to.
Your pipes must have a good amount of straight section right off the flanges.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You were able to get 9/16" hex nuts with the flange and the wrench in there too? I've got a special 7/16" box end wrench that I thinned the OD of the box end to get in under header tubes that curl around over the bolt heads and sometimes it can be tight in there
Yeah, some of them we had to use an open end wrench, others we got with this dude.
You must be registered for see images attach