Having the known GM taillight issues. Who makes the best aftermarket tailights? What are yall running?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
All my lights front and back are LEDs now, is there a flasher for that or do I need resistors as well since they are all LEDs?
You can hack your factory flasher as shown - just pop the cover off and use an Xacto knife to carefully cut that one leg off the chip. Or, use a ready-made LED flasher (though results may vary.) Resistors would be the last choice for me as you have to wire them in and choose your mounting position carefully as they get very hot. I had to use them on my 300 because there's no flasher to replace; the flash rate is controlled by the BCM.

Richard

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I switched to the Anzo's as well, the ones that don't use the board at all. There's just a wiring pigtail instead.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have TYC's but before that I was using GM housings with various circuit boards. I tried the early (first) GM design, new US made Glo-Brite boards, and finally some cheapies from O'reilly (Dorman maybe?). The Orielly boards lasted and lasted. Weirdly, I only ever had issues with the right board.

I'm thinking Glo-Brite might be defunct as thier website was hard to find, and appears dead. I was disappointed that US made boards didn't last. I still have the left side, since I only ever had issues with the right.

The outer lense on the TYC's can crack, in the corner, just like was prevuiolsy mentioned. Still it was great having all new, nice and shiny housings.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I have TYC's but before that I was using GM housings with various circuit boards. I tried the early (first) GM design, new US made Glo-Brite boards, and finally some cheapies from O'reilly (Dorman maybe?). The Orielly boards lasted and lasted. Weirdly, I only ever had issues with the right board.

I'm thinking Glo-Brite might be defunct as thier website was hard to find, and appears dead. I was disappointed that US made boards didn't last. I still have the left side, since I only ever had issues with the right.

The outer lense on the TYC's can crack, in the corner, just like was prevuiolsy mentioned. Still it was great having all new, nice and shiny housings.
Glo-Brite... there's a name/company I haven't heard about in a while. Back in the 50s they had replacement lenses for everything.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Glo-Brite... there's a name/company I haven't heard about in a while. Back in the 50s they had replacement lenses for everything.

It looks like they went out of business a few years ago, unfortunately. I found it mentioned on another forum, and that the parent company was the Globe Specialty Company, which Google reports as being permanently closed.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got some ebay "euro" lights that have a more modern look. No circuit board, just light sockets with the newer bulbs. My phone isn't allowing me to post links. Ebay item number 273648414930.
They seem like great quality, bolted in perfectly, working for a year now.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I got some ebay "euro" lights that have a more modern look. No circuit board, just light sockets with the newer bulbs. My phone isn't allowing me to post links. Ebay item number 273648414930.
They seem like great quality, bolted in perfectly, working for a year now.
Those are essentially the same design as the Anzo's the others are talking about.

From the auction item # you listed:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I tried a set of them a while back on my '94 but I didn't like how my LED's looked in them; kinda googly-eyed. Regular incandescent bulbs wouldn't have that issue.

Richard

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The issue I was seeing on the circuit boards is tightening the circuit board too much warps it (due to the foam gasket), and leads to a connection problem, or a crack on the circuit board. It's difficult not to tighten it all the way, but go easy on the screws helped me.

I have had good luck with the TYC board's I have in mine now. No problems after a few yrs. But I like the pigtail idea better. I might get a set of those. Thanks for the suggestion

Last edited: