Best Aftermarket/Knockoff parts for GMT400s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In situations where I can't get AC Delco or GM Genuine parts, I have had good results with Standard Motor Products parts. Usually sensors and stuff like that. Never buy the T-Series, always get the more expensive one. I suspect they are the oem for a lot of local parts store brands.

I did Raybestos brand everything front brakes once and it seemed to be as good as OEM to me, wouldn't hesitate to use their products.

I have had very good results with Fel-Pro gaskets of all kinds, I think they're as good or better than OEM.

I've used Standard O2 sensors on my Ford Taurus with good success.

Raybestos is also a good brand that I have yet to hear anything bad about too.

Fel-Pro is my go to for gaskets. I 100% agree with you on that one. I prefer Fel-Pro over OEM for gaskets and I have yet to see a Fel-Pro gasket fail.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup I forgot about the belts and hoses! Dad always used Gates, and that's what we sold as well. No major problems with them, and we'd get good service from them. And now, the serpentine belts last longer, and the tensioner assembly and idler pulleys are considered "wear parts" i.e. something that gets replaced periodically.

IIRC the belt needs to be replaced, but the tensioner doesn't? That's at least what my shop teacher told me.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I try to go with OEM GM/ACDelco (NOS, even better) with most things, but occasionally I will go down a research rabbit hole and try to replace parts with something better than OEM (or equivalent at a lower price, sometimes you can make a good educated guess about who currently supplies GM/ACDelco).

Some good examples of improvements over OEM off the top of my head...

Cunningham Machine door parts. IMO pretty much everything in their catalog for GMT400 doors is better than what came on the trucks.

Raybestos Element3 (EHT369H) brake pads. DOT friction code of HH and around $25/pair on RockAuto, with hardware. They're a significantly more aggressive friction compound than any of the track offerings from EBC or Hawk for a fraction of the price. More info here:
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/ebc-yellowstuff-brake-pads-worth-it.47903/

Dorman (Yes, Dorman actually does make some good things) 800401 heater hose quick disconnect. Made from a better material than the OEM part, recommended by a GM tech.
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/quick-disconnect-fitting-on-heater-inlet-hose.51460/post-1137101

Cunningham Machine door parts are the GOAT. I love their stuff and it really is just as good as OEM, if even better.

I've heard good things about those Raybestos pads which is good since I plan on doing a brake overhaul soon.

I'm surprised a GM tech would recommend a Dorman part, but they know more than I do, so I'll take their word for it. Glad to know that can sometimes get things right.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fel-Pro is my go to for gaskets. I 100% agree with you on that one. I prefer Fel-Pro over OEM for gaskets and I have yet to see a Fel-Pro gasket fail.
Fel-Pro is my preferred gasket supplier, although I'm not allergic to other brands. Just bought a Mahle gasket set for the intake on the '97 Plow Truck with L29.

OTOH, here's the Fel-Pro gaskets that failed on my '88 K1500 5.7L. Kinda suspecting the intake manifold is warped. In fact, I'd better go out and check the intake gaskets again, tomorrow.

You must be registered for see images attach

IIRC the belt needs to be replaced, but the tensioner doesn't? That's at least what my shop teacher told me.
Tensioners do wear out. Mostly noticeable when the tensioner "jiggles" as the engine runs. There's a damper inside, the tensioner arm should be steady. When it jiggles, the damper is "done". It's also possible that the spring that sets the tension can relax, leading to belt slippage.

The pulley on the tensioner arm also wears out. Bearings go bad, and the (generally plastic) pulley itself can become worn. The pulley/bearing is often replaceable separate from the tensioner assembly.

Why is the (lower) tensioner pulley covered in melted rubber from the belt? (Upper pulley is new replacement, for comparison.)

Because this bearing...

...didn't have balls enough to do the job.

Not scientific or anything, but I'd say that--in general, and with exceptions especially for catastrophic failure like pictured above--you'd wear out two belts to a plastic tensioner pulley, and two pulleys to a tensioner. So a tensioner is certainly worn-out after four belts, maybe fewer. YMMV.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score