GOT a van!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it checks out. Pretty confident it will at this point but a test drive and a scanner will tell i hope.
The plan is to remove the center seats as it's only the wife and i and two big dogs. Lay the bed out and see if it's big/comfy enough to sleep on. If the bed is not good enough i'll take it out and put something better in. First most important thing for wife.
Next i will need to cleverly hide additions like a second battery and inverter. May need a bigger alternator, we will see.
Want a Awning for shade or rainy day sitting under.
Diesel heater maybe.
Whatever i end up doing i will use as close as possible fabric and wood trim to match the interior. I hate tacky looking half a$$ done things like that.
Initial thinking anyway.

Also, i will need to figure out how to get it sitting higher. It's a little low for my liking and some of the places we go.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was asking $5,500. It's in Montana and with 280K im pretty sure a lot of the miles are actual highway miles.
I don't like the wheels, so they are a goner anyway.
Im sure it will need a few things. Probably shocks, front end work, brakes getting thin kinda stuff.
A guy has to think with 280K some type of work has been performed.
If he is like me, im really bad about saving paperwork or vehicle records. I have never bought a vehicle with records other than a Carfax.

Good to hear. The fact that he already came down in price, suggests that he may not move much more. Unless you find something significantly beyond normal wear for a well-maintained highway cruiser. It kind of simplifies things.

The fact that the bulk of those miles were put on in the easiest manner possible, by mature drivers, would take a lot of concern out of that figure for me. Those miles also mean that it didn’t sit for years. Based on my experience, that’s a huge plus.

A nicely appointed conversion van with a sound body and functioning running gear for under $5k? Sounds pretty attractive.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm - my 88 has these rims, similar but they have those black (or grey) recessed spokes. IDK if those rims were available in 88-91 too, maybe mine were a Silverado option?
You must be registered for see images attach
Those wheels in your pic hit the scene in 1992 although center cap design changed somewhere around 1995-ish to the smooth vs. holes with the lug caps.

The older design with the recessed center cap and without the extra spokes is 1988-1991, and the 1988-only has a weirder retention setup for the center cap/special lug nut situation, instead of the usual external thread lug nut. They were the Silverado wheels. Someone changed your wheels out at some point.

1988-1991 Silverado wheels..
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would look over the frame, body mounts, suspension and suspension mounting points. At 280K it probably needs a front end rebuild if it has not been done. Surely the 4L60E has been rebuilt a time or two. Watch the oil pressure at hot idle and listen to the engine at both cold start and hot idle. Also watch the exhaust on startup for blue oil smoke. If it has startup ticking before the oil pressure climbs the bearings are getting loose. One other thing to look at is if it has had intake gaskets done. They are a little more time consuming in a van, not terrible but a little more involved job than a truck. With the 4L60E and intake gaskets it is more of a when thing than if they fail.