GMT400 You can't quit looking at!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The day I got it. 1 owner. ALWAYS serviced @ the dealership, where it was purchased. I have every reciept from day 1. Plain jane. V6/stick, power nothing, some kind of dealer installed stickers, 'ZE5 Sport', Walmart body side mouldings that were really ugly. Hadn't been driven in a year. Owner went through a divorce, she got the SUV. He had bought a new SUV for when he had the kids. So the truck had sat in his underground, with a cover on it.
He was asking $5000.00. I almost fell over when he pulled the cover off. Wow. But, I didn't need a second truck THAT bad. Told him it was really nice, But... so I started to walk away. The price had dropped by the time I had gone 10 paces. Down to $4000.00(!)
I got it for $2750.00 & a 24 of beer.

You must be registered for see images attach

My buddy said that it looked like a big booty'd smurf that had been kicked in the booty.

2/4 drop. A week later.
New rear bumper, tonneau, wheel well chrome, & those stupid body moldings.

New front bumper & rubber strip, H/L's, B/L's & corners. NEW body molding.

On my 20's from the '98. I Had to see what they look like.

This is original paint.

Oh yeah, painted mirrors. They're on the build sheet.
This is a one year only color. But I didn't know that until after I bought it.
All I've done, other than what's in the pix, is add a rear sway bar, front sway bar urethane bushings, CAI, a bench seat out of a '90, with the armrest, & a stereo out stuff I have leftover from the '98.

Last edited:

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
How did you get the sticker off the side of the bed off without leaving glue behind?

mxw737

Reaction score
heres the pics guys let me know what you think?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have an industrial heat-gun for doing upholstery. 1000F degrees at the tip. Warnings about 3rd degree burns all over it. You really don't need this. A paint stripper style heat gun from any auto supply store, or Wal-Mart style store will work just as well.
Heat one sticker at a time to the point that it's just about too hot to touch. Keep the heat gun moving. This is important!
I move the gun in small circles, while making bigger circles, with my other hand feeling the sticker in behind where I've gone over it with the heat gun. When it starts to get too hot to touch, you can turn off the gun. The metal will hold the heat for a fair bit. I'll start peeling up one corner of the sticker using my finger nail. If your nails are too short or soft to get under the edge, you can use a glass tool stick, or anything else, as long as it's not metal. NO razor blades. If you've heated up the sticker enough the body will hold the heat long enough so that when you get under the edge, the whole sticker will come off in one piece. Go slow & steady when pulling it off. Don't yank it. Don' worry about the leftover glue.
Once all the stickers are off, you can remove the glue with degreaser, bug & tar remover, 'Goof-off', or 'Goo-gone'.
Your probably going to be able to see 'ghosts' of the stickers in the paint, so a mild cut polish by hand, followed by a reg. polish, then glaze, then a good wax. I use a cheap orbital polisher for the last 3 steps. A good time to wax the whole vehicle. I like Maguire's NXT 2.0, but that's a personal choice. Don't waste your time with a clay bar.
You can use this same procedure for body side moldings & badges. You can heat those up to the point that they are almost (I said, 'almost') burning your hands. Just remember, if it's too hot to touch, it's too hot. When they are 'Damn, that's pretty hot!', that's the right temp to remove 'em. This is just before the point that the paint will start to get F'd up. You just want to soften the glue underneath. You can do a couple of feet at a time. Work slow & steady. Don't be in a hurry. Don't just yank it, once it starts to come off. When the molding starts to come off, you can point the heat gun between the body & molding. You can pull the molding with one hand, while heating the glue with the gun in the other hand. A nice warm day helps to make things easier, too.
Good luck.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This truck was at the first real big show of the year. 'Father's Day in th Park'.
Less than 30,000 miles. Totally stock & original. I want it! NOT for sale.
Just thought you guys would like to see an original unmolested example. Factory 2/4 drop, with 275/60-15's.

A trailer hitch? That's gotta go!

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
There is a HOT looking truck and then 10 steps above that there is this truck.