gen V BBC swap...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daturbosix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
was looking for a build thread, but searching and searching came up empty.

yea its pretty straight forward swap, but i do have some questions

trans control after carb swap? HOW?
(60e depends on TPS signal to shift)

headers, who what where?
any cheap alternatives like 1st gen fbody stuff fits the square body trucks...?

intake fuel pump control
(i plan to keep the intake pump, how do i keep ecm control of that?)

cooling?
(is the gmt400 bbc radiator a direct swap?)

might have more questions, but for now... i think this is it.
thanks

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
why would you put a 60 behind a big block? 60e relys on tps and rpm signal, it would help to know what ecm or what vehicle you are starting with.

why are you putting a carb on it? what was wrong with the original fuel injection?

intake pump? Pardon my extreme confusion here, i want to carb swap to get rid of the ECM but i want to keep the ECM for stupid **** like fuel pump control.............. is this what im gathering correctly?

headers for a tbi truck in this case, ebay stainless will probably do fine.

theres three different radiators the three of them require a different bracket attaching to the shroud to hold the rad in.

daturbosix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1995 RCSB c1500 tbi 350 currently...

why a 60e? less power to turn, already have one, and they will hold up to power jsut fine you put the right parts in it. close personal friend is a trans builder, he has 60e's in numerous 9 second nitrous cars.

i plan to go carb, because, well TBI i dont feel would a good suit for a 600hp pump gas engine.

i want to carb swap because its easier and far cheaper to support 600hp with a carb, than with any sort of injection factory or aftermarket.

ill start poking around with ebay and seeing if i can find any 2" primary ones. i refuse to spend 900+ on a set of supercomps.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
600 hp out of a gen V will be hard pressed. Carb or otherwise. Many blocks have compatibility issues with any heads other than factory gev V. Even with every bit of porting you can muster out of a set of peanut ports. You will be lucky to get 450.

Nitrous and forced induction will offset this handicap a bit. But will not overcome it.

Great heads for low speed torque however.

Best of luck.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
every person that says they have 9 second 60es ends up building an 80e lol. if your buddy was a good trans builder hed tell you thats a horrible choice and hook you up with an 80e core and give you a nice price on an 80e as well. Not even opinion. fact.

still, if your eliminating a computer why keep it?

600hp out of a genv? like said you have bigger issues, parts are pricey and not worth ti. genIV is a better choice.

600hp aint cheap but we are willing to cheap out on headers!!! WTF

what rear end is going behind this "built" big block 60e combo? driveline?

daturbosix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys, im only using a gen v block and crank. everything else will be aftermarket.
nice hbeam rods
flat top 10:1 pistons
115cc chamber aluminum heads
hyd roller cam & valve train..

600 will not be hard to come by that way.

daturbosix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
every person that says they have 9 second 60es ends up building an 80e lol. if your buddy was a good trans builder hed tell you thats a horrible choice and hook you up with an 80e core and give you a nice price on an 80e as well. Not even opinion. fact. yes, there is no argument that a 80e is better than a 60. no doubt! but a 60 will survive.

still, if your eliminating a computer why keep it? how else will i control the trans?

600hp out of a genv? like said you have bigger issues, parts are pricey and not worth ti. genIV is a better choice.

600hp aint cheap but we are willing to cheap out on headers!!! WTF yeah. who wants to spend $1000 on a set of super comps when maybe someone knows of another platform that is cheaper will work?

what rear end is going behind this "built" big block 60e combo? driveline?
the factory 30 spline 8.5.....

lemme guess... you dont trust that either?
buick grand nationals, GS's, stage cars all had 8.5" rears
one of my GN's still has a 8.5 with 30 spline axles and a eaton posi, and she made 580 at the wheels THROUGH A 200-4R TO BOOT! LOL

daturbosix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you planning on using this as a daily or track day?
daily from early spring - late fall.
but i dont normally leave a 10mile or so radius from my house.

i hope when i take it to the track it'll be a 11.00 or little quicker.