!!!GEN V 454 BUILD!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brockstar15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a 93 Gen V 454 BBC that I'm wanting to get about 800hp/700tq. This is my plans but I need help on two things...rocker arms and valve springs.

ENGINE
Bored .60 over
Eagle forged stroker kit
-forged 4340 crank
-forged 4340 H-beam rods
-forged -18cc pistons
-1 piece rear main seal
Edelbrock 355 Fully CNC'd Heads
-110 combustion chamber
-348/356cc intake runners
-145cc exhaust runners
-2.300 intake valves
-1.880 exhaust valves
-.775 max lift
-1.540 springs
-24.5/4.4 intake valve angle
-15.5/4.2 exhaust valve angle
-3 angle valve seat
COMP NX298HR
-hydraulic roller tappet
-242int/254exh duration at .050 lift
-298int/310exh advertised duration
-566int/575exh valve lift with stock lifters
-113 LSA
COMP Timing Chain
-double roller
Edelbrock Pro Flow 2 EFI
-MPI
-1,600cfm
-60lb/hr injectors

FUEL SYSTEM
Jaz Fuel Cell
-15 gallons
-dual -8AN outlet
-single -8AN return
-single -8AN vent
-sump & foam
Holley HP Fuel Filter
-10 microns
-single -8AN O-ring female threaded inlet
-single -8AN O-ring female threaded outlet
Holley Dominator Billet Fuel Pump
-140gph free flow
-80psi max
-36 amps
Holley HP Fuel Filter
-100 microns
Holley Billet Fuel Pressure Regulator
-40-70psi
-inline
-single -6AN O-ring female threaded return
-1/8" NPT female threaded gauge port

COOLING
Be Cool Direct Fit Module
-2 row aluminum radiator
-automatic transmission cooler
-dual 13" 3,420cfm radiator fan
-single 8" 1,100cfm transmission cooler fan

EXHAUST
JBA Headers
-shorty
-1 3/4 16 gauge primaries
-2 1/2 collectors
-stainless steel
-silver ceramic coated
-3/8 flange
Summit Electric Cutout Kit
MagnaFlow Tru-X Midpipe
-2.5" inlet
-9.5" long
-2.5" outlet
MagnaFlow Muffler
-dual 2.5" inlet
-dual 2.5" outlet
-stainless steel
MagnaFlow Exhaust Tips
-2.5" inlet
-10" long
-3" outlet
-weld on
-completely TIG welded

WILL ALSO HAVE A NITROUS OUTLET DIRECT PORT SYSTEM & SNOW PERFORMANCE METHANOL INJECTION SYTEM ON IT. FIGURING THAT OUT SLOWKY BUT SURELY.

Last edited:

brockstar15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's quite a shopping list,good luck with it.I'll be watching how it goes....

Lol thanks! I'm very OCD and meticulous so I'm not going to start working on it until I get everything in. Then I'm going to go from there and see about all the little things. I'll take tons of pictures and then write up a completed build thread. Would you happen to know a good bit about engines?

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Not a whole lot,just enough to get myself in trouble :rotflmao: I did a rebuild on a 327 many years ago,installed a new cam in my current 454 and changed heads on an old 454 back in the 70s,replaced the ''zero lash'' rocker arm studs on my current 454 with adjustable ones and the cam in that same 454.Nothing like a complete rebuild on a big block though.I certainly wouldn't hesitate if I had the $ and a place to do it in.

There are others here with way more knowledge about this than me.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Ok, so you're trying to get 800 hp out of a naturally aspirated 454? Good luck with that. Sorry if I seem skeptical, but I just don't see you coming anywhere close to what you're expecting.

Do you even have any idea what kind of compression ratio you'll be running, or what octane fuel you'll need?

Lastly, looking at your exhaust, why go with JBA shorty headers? Usually, shorty headers offer the LEAST amount of gain as far as exhaust manifolds go. Take a look at Doug's Headers (Not Doug Thorley, just Doug's, there is a difference). Maybe shoot them an e-mail to see if they have some Tri-Y's that you could use for your setup.

Also, what is your intended use for this thing? Talking about making a high HP 454 with only a 15 gal fuel cell, I hope you won't be doing long road trips.

And what made you decide to go with Holley for the fuel pressure regulator? I have one that was made by them for my truck, and it had eaten through the diaphragm when I got it. It was a pain to dial in the fuel pressure, it's never been quite right, and now I think it's eaten through another diaphragm in a year. If I were you, I would take a look at Aeromotive. They seem to be higher quality regulators. Holleys seem kind of cheap to me.

Last edited:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
800 ponies in an N/A 454 is not a hard number to achieve, just and expensive one.

We commonly produce 700HP with our N/A 360 cube limit 11.5:1 small block engines. We also commonly produce power in the high 800's with big cube 14:1 small blocks.

Keep in mind the guy isn't building a low rpm pump gas engine. Alky alone is average 60 ponies over gasoline. Dry sump with reverse flow oiling? There's another 40 ponies.

~Via Mobile

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not use the valve springs that comp recommends?
Is your goal of 800hp on the bottle?
I think to get close to your goal, you'll need more compression, long tubes, and bigger exhaust; and run it on 110 octane.

brockstar15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys. I talked to my grandpa for about 3 hours today about everything and we both agreed on just buying a new crate engine so this is what we both agreed on http://www.ebay.com/itm/700-Hp-Big-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ca292c9f&vxp=mtr i'm still going to go with the Holley fuel system and if that doesn't meet my expectations then i will switch to Aeromotive. The reason I'm going with the Holley stuff is because my uncle has it on his blown and injected 406 and he loves it but like I said, if I don't like it then i'll change it. I might even look at swapping the motor to fuel injection on down the road. And the reason I have just a 15 gallon fuel cell is because it'll be a bracket racer that'll be street legal. I'm still going with the Nitrous Outlet and Snow Performance systems with their own designated fuel system.