Geauga Lake Park Truck Refresh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
This truck was originally purchased by SeaWorld Ohio then transferred in 2001 to Six Flags Worlds of Adventure, which operated on the opposite side of a lake from SeaWorld. It was equipped with tool boxes, a ladder rack, and air compressor which serviced machines and rides at what was then the largest amusement park in the world. Six Flags sold the property to Cedar Fair (owners of Cedar Point) in 2004 and this truck got to stay. The park was rebranded with its original name that it had since 1888, Geauga Lake, but ultimately closed for good in 2007. The waterpark continued to operate for another ten years and the C2500 managed to hang on as other vehicles and machines were sold and scrapped left and right. When Geauga Lake's waterpark closed in 2016, I was working there as an operations supervisor. A huge Chevrolet fan, I saw the potential in the truck and bought it from the park for $200, the cost of what they felt a scrap value would be. The story of the rise and fall of Geauga Lake is a fascinating one if you're into amusement parks but this is a Chevy truck forum so we'll move on.

It was standard practice for a maintenance man to start his vehicle at the beginning of the shift and turn it off at the end of the day. After over 10,000 hours of run-time, the ol truck has been pretty tired (despite only 60k miles). The rod bearings are naturally worn out and the truck hasn’t moved from my property in about a year. She starts but a spun bearing produces a nasty rod knock. My intention is to take this truck back to a healthy state. The truck sat outside for decades so the body is toast. Surprisingly, the frame is in good shape so here is the plan:

The 305 from the factory really isn’t worth repairing so I am building a 406 small block (removed as a 400 from a 1971 Impala). The block is currently being machined at B&B Machine in Warren, Ohio, and should be ready to drop in by spring time. I will start a separate photo album just to document engine progress.

A 1-ton rear end was acquired some years ago with plans for Baker's 4wd LLC of Mantua, Ohio, to make it bulletproof.

Finally, most recently, a donor truck was located by a friend. This truck will supply a replacement bed/tail gate, doors, sliding rear window, wheels, and interior. This 1993 C1500 is in almost better condition that the Geauga Lake truck! I lucked out with this find.

Tomorrow morning I will be picking up a turbo 400 trans that has been donated by a fan of the former park after my project has grown some attention on social media. This was exactly what I was looking for and sounds like it is from a low-mileage motor home. Recommendations of rebuild kits would be appreciated. The TH400 will push power to a 14-bolt rear end that I have in storage.

Eventually I will get the much nicer body panels moved from the donor truck and find a good body shop to fix a few minor cosmetic issues and paint. The goal is to make it look the way it did while servicing Shamu's pumps, the Big Dipper's lift motor, and Thunder Falls water slide filters. Yes, I plan to keep all Geauga Lake markings proudly displayed.

This is the last privately-owned road-worthy vehicle left from the largest amusement park on the planet. This truck saw the rise and fall of one of the most historic parks in history. It means a lot to me I thank all who have helped contribute to keep it on the road! Things are moving in the right direction so stay posted for more pictures of the process!

Attachments

• GL Truck.jpg
    GL Truck.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 41

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I was there in the 80s as a kid. Both Sea World and Geauga Lake. I get disbelieving looks when I tell people there used to be a Sea World in Ohio. I still have extended family in the area. Sounds like a fun project!

We went to Sea World in Ohio when I was a kid..... no idea what year that was.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Great story about the truck. A vehicle with history like that deserves to be saved.
Operations Manager at an amusement park. Dream Job!
I love coasters!
Sis & I rode the one here, wooden extreme class, built in '58, 22 times in a row without getting off. Slow day, no lines. Wanted to get to 25, but the operators made us skip one 'cause they didn't want us getting sick. Pffftt. We were fine.
Late '80's, the boys & I (oh yea...and the ex, too.) spent 7 weeks one summer, driving down the coast from Vancouver to L.A. & back, visiting friends & family.
That was the wife's plan, anyway.
Not quite what me & the boys had in mind, though.
Our plan?
Roller Coasters. All of them.
Every one that we could find within 2 day's driving distance from the direct route.
The best park we went to? Six Flags, Valencia, Cali.
At that time, they had 10. Now it's something like 18 or 19!
We spent 4 days in a row there on the way down. 3 more on the way back.
The boys were 8 & 10. The youngest was just tall enough to get on all but one. Wearing runners, he was j-u-s-t a hair tall enough to get on 4 others. Barefoot he would of been too short.
Morning of day 2 & I found him stuffing his shoes with newspaper to get some additional height. Didn't work.
In a couple of years, the G-kids will be old enough, tall enough, so the plan is to do it all over again with them.
No damn in-laws this time.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, been there, ha ha. The 1st roller coaster I went on was in Coney Island NY, an old (even then in 1959) wooden one. When the cars went by the whole frame would shake and creak - fun stuff!

Reaction score
I was there in the 80s as a kid. Both Sea World and Geauga Lake. I get disbelieving looks when I tell people there used to be a Sea World in Ohio. I still have extended family in the area. Sounds like a fun project!
Isn't that the truth! Not only was there a SeaWorld in Ohio, it was the second one opened, just after San Diego. The truck still has SeaWorld logos on the windows and glove box. I'd love a record check from the BMV to show all the amusement parks that had the truck but Ohio is a pain to work with and it has proven very difficult to acquire that.

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great story about the truck. A vehicle with history like that deserves to be saved.
Operations Manager at an amusement park. Dream Job!
I love coasters!
Sis & I rode the one here, wooden extreme class, built in '58, 22 times in a row without getting off. Slow day, no lines. Wanted to get to 25, but the operators made us skip one 'cause they didn't want us getting sick. Pffftt. We were fine.
Late '80's, the boys & I (oh yea...and the ex, too.) spent 7 weeks one summer, driving down the coast from Vancouver to L.A. & back, visiting friends & family.
That was the wife's plan, anyway.
Not quite what me & the boys had in mind, though.
Our plan?
Roller Coasters. All of them.
Every one that we could find within 2 day's driving distance from the direct route.
At that time, they had 10. Now it's something like 18 or 19!
We spent 4 days in a row there on the way down. 3 more on the way back.
The boys were 8 & 10. The youngest was just tall enough to get on all but one. Wearing runners, he was j-u-s-t a hair tall enough to get on 4 others. Barefoot he would of been too short.
Morning of day 2 & I found him stuffing his shoes with newspaper to get some additional height. Didn't work.
In a couple of years, the G-kids will be old enough, tall enough, so the plan is to do it all over again with them.
No damn in-laws this time.
Magic Mountain! I've spent sooooooo much time and money there.