Gas vs Diesel fuel line/sender compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So here's the deal. I have a 1998 CCLB dually to flip. It was a 6.5 truck and I bolted a 454 in with 4L80. The union on the frame will allow me to use the front section of fuel line. My question is this: can I simply put a pump in the diesel sender? Is there already a pump in the tank? Are the 2 existing lines feed and return?

There is a guy parting out either a 96 or 98 (he contradicts himself in the ad) CCLB SRW 454 4L80 truck. What all do I need from that truck? I have both style tanks so could use whatever fuel sender he has in his tank and, if it is a 98, I'd need his lines too. I also need to add the charcoal canister line to mine. If it's a 96, would my rear section of fuel lines fit the gas sender? At that point I'd only need to add the charcoal canister line.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The lines are feed and return.

No pump in the tank on a diesel, You could probably make a pump work in tank but it'd be easier to find a gasser sender. There's a little lift pump in line on the diesels, you'd have to get rid of it. It's in the same spot as a fuel filter on a gas and looks just like a fuel filter with 2 wires going to it. I believe you can just put a filter in it's place.

If you do make a pump work with the diesel sender the diesel fuel lines may not be able to hold the pressure required, I've never messed with those lines so I couldn't tell you what they look like.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Had a moment of clarity. I'm going to the pull and pay this weekend so I can grab whatever sender I want. Can anyone confirm that a gas sender will drop in place of a diesel sender and hook right up? I'm pretty sure the lines share the same threads.