Further Information on HID, LED, and even Halogen Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
While they don't cover everything, there are two threads already that go over HIDs, so I'll try not to overlap too much on the information provided there.

I have seen a LOT of misinformation out there in regards to both HID and LED headlights on topics that either aren't covered in the other topics or very little info is provided, so that's what I'm trying to go over here.

Part I: Lighting Sources

The absolute biggest misconception I see out there is that HIDs will always produce blinding glare in reflector housings, and that LEDs are a better choice in that aspect.

There are many people out there that will stand by this, many of which have never even used HIDs. Most of the time they will also tell you that HIDs but more light in the foreground causing them to look brighter, but less towards the cut off which hurts distance vision.

This is all 100% false. Let's look at some actual comparisons. These first two pictures are direct side by side comparisons of halogens and HIDs in halogen projectors.
You must be registered for see images attach

You can see that the beam pattern is mostly unchanged with the change in light source. The biggest difference is in color and in light output, but you're got the same relative increase in distance and foreground lighting. The low quality beam pattern on the right is the result of a low quality projector/housing, it is not the result of running HIDs in a housing designed for halogens as evidenced by the fact that the the same housing produces the same pattern with the halogens it was designed for.

Now let's look at how LEDs perform is housings designed for halogens. The two images in this comparison were actually used in an advertisement for a drop in LED bulb.

Notice anything odd? The beam pattern with LEDs seems to have changed in the exact same matter that people claimed it would with HIDs when it didn't.
The "valley" in the middle means the beam is lower (and shorter) right in front of you, while the higher area to each side blinds drivers. There's a huge increase in foreground lighting but the middle of the beam has dropped, hurting distance vision and the hot spots in the beam pattern that act like spot lights to aid in distance vision straight ahead are now gone with the LEDs. This may look nicer, but it's an overall downgrade in lighting performance.

Now halogen vs LED in stock halogen reflector housings. Again, the first image here was used in an advertisement for a drop in LED.

Again we see a massive amount of foreground light with LEDs, with no real uopgrade in light output at the top of the pattern where you need it, along with a shift in the pattern itself and a major downgrade to the cut off, which is a big deal seeing as that sharp, bright cut off is what allows you to cast as much light down the road as you can without blinding other drivers.

It's well known that halogens, HIDs, and LEDs all produce light very differently. But the most important aspect in maintaining a safe beam pattern is not how the light is produced, but instead how the light is distributed. A filament and an arc distribute light in a very similar way, however LEDs are quite a bit different which is why we see this change in beam pattern. There are SOME drop in LED bulbs that produce a decent pattern in SOME housings, but this seems to be a small minority of cases.

Generally speaking, LEDs will be brighter than halogens, and HIDs will be brighter than LEDs. The brighter your lights are, the important it becomes to have a well designed housing to make the most use of that light were needed and control it where it isn't needed. In that regard, our factory headlights (and most OEM cut lens reflector headlights) just aren't up to the task of controlling HID light output.

The very first step you should take in upgrading your headlights is upgrading the housings and wiring.
If sticking to halogens, a simple relay harness in addition to wet sanding and clear coating an old yellowed lens can yield good results.
If you want LEDs, you should be looking into a complete replacement housing specifically designed for LED bulbs.
Perhaps the most confusing course of action is with HIDs. Yes, the "correct" way is retrofit quality HID projectors in an aftermarket clear lens housing. (NOT ebay projector housings) This will without a doubt provide the best possible beam pattern with HIDs. However, HIDs in a good quality clear lens reflector housing will often perform far better than stock lighting in both performance and beam control. I run HIDs in both my low beams and my aftermarket fog lights designed for halogens. Both produce great patterns with great output, thought neither were yet aligned in the below picture.

Though not in the same vehicle or same housing, here's an example of 100% stock headlights in a 1997 Ford F150. You'll have to excuse me for not having spare 9006 halogens on hand for a direct comparison in my housings, but as you can see the HIDs produce a better cutoff in aftermarket housings than halogens do in these stock housings.

Part II: High Beams

Most vehicles that use HID low beams make use of bixenon projectors. In simpler terms, the same bulb is used for both high and low beams. The low beam is the same as the high beam with the top part of the beam "cut off" by a cut off shield. Since there's only one pair of bulbs used, there is no cut out or warm up time when switching from low to high beams or high to low.

You can achieve this same thing if you choose to retrofit bixenon projectors. If you go a different route, you can use the 4high mod which keeps the low beams on when the high beams are used. That way you don't have to wait for your low beams to warm up when switching from high to low, and if you've got HID high beams, you will at least still have your low beams on while the high beams warm up. This is covered in other threads so I wont go into the installation process but I will say that it should NOT be done without at least one relay.

If you use your high beams to flash people or use them on/off regularly, you'll probably want to skip HID high beams. Many people including myself prefer to run HID low beams with halogen high beams. This way there's no warm up time for the high beams, and when used with 4high the ONLY warm up time you need is when you start the vehicle.

Part III: Color

Many people upgrade to HIDs for the wrong reasons. If you're doing it because you want blue, pink, red, green, etc. headlights on a daily driven vehicle, then yes. That means you. Those colors are fine for shows but please keep them off of public roads. If you want blue headlights because you want it to look like a newer vehicle with factory, HIDs, then you really don't want blue headlights. What you're seeing on newer vehicles is the small amount of blue light above the cut off as shown below. The beam pattern itself on these vehicles is white, usually 4000-4300k.

It's with good reason that factory lights don't have blue within the pattern. Primarily because it's illegal, and you simply don't see as well in blue light. Additionally, blue light causes more glare and the more color your HIDs produce, the less useful light they produce. Nearly every aspect of blue light is a disadvantage in a headlight.

"But I see fine with blue light"
Not as well as you think. It looks just as bright, but your ability to make out objects and contrast is severely hindered. Even the blue coated halogen "high end" lights put out less light than low end halogens as they're only achieving that whiter output by filtering out the more useful wavelengths.

If you're dead set on wanting some blue in your headlights, I would recommend 5000k, though anything 6000k or below is generally considered reasonable.

While the legality of lighting sources for headlights is a gray area, the legality of headlight colors is not. It's quite clearly defined in U.S. Federal Safety Standards. Yes, Federal. That means you can't use being in a different state as an excuse. The area labelled "white" is what's legal for headlights. It does reach well into the yellow spectrum but you can clearly see there's no hint of blue, red, or green permitted. The below image is an official color definitions chart laid over a color chart that actually shows the color, to give you a better idea of exactly what those definitions are.

Pure white is around 4300k, this is what most OEMs use and it's what gives you the most light. Below that and light becomes more yellow and then orange and red. Above that, light becomes teal and then blue.

You must be registered for see images

For more resources or info, check out:
The Retrofit Source
FMVSS 108

Last edited:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Thanks for the information Richard.

Something else to add if swapping from Halogen to HID or LED; The swap is very subjective to the type of light housing and the type of bulb, and specifically to the bulb the focal point of the light output. The source of the light itself in the housing is a huge factor. Some housings (projector, e-code and cut reflector) seem to have the best results.

If you look at your halogen bulb, notice the orientation of the filament and the distance from it to the base. Now compare it to an HDI or LED. With HIDs, bulbs such as 9005 and 9006 have a very close focal length. Something to note is HIDs are an arc and thus it slightly alters the lights position. Other bulbs such as H4 work well if you have the bi-xenon version with a glare shield (notice h4 Halogens have a glare shield in them already for the low beam). LED lights generally use multiple diodes on one side, which spread the light source out over a greater area, hitting the housing differently.

In all cases, moving the orientation, position or distance of the light source in the housing alters the way the light is reflected in the housing, causing poor patterns and glare. Again as I have said, some light styles work better than others, some housings work better than others.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
Yes, even with the ebay bulbs and housings what you order might look exactly what the last guy ordered but perform very differently. It's the combination of the bulb and housing that create the pattern. A slight difference on the base of the bulb or a slight difference in the bulb's mounting plane in the housing can have a huge effect on beam pattern. While the high beam pattern is less than ideal with my ebay housings, the low beam pattern is great. But I've seen people with the same housings that have nothing even resembling a cutoff line with HIDs. Can't know for sure if that's an issue with the bulb or housing but if they're both imported ebay parts you can generally assume quality control is similar between the two.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's why when I did my LED swap I was very careful to indicate they work "OK" with the particular housings I have, and that I couldn't say if they would work well in others. I kind of loaded my post with disclaimers because while I think I like them OK, I don't think they are anywhere near an ideal setup and not even close to the performance of an OEM setup.

Most of the comments I see regarding HID's performing poorly (pattern-wise) when swapped into a halogen setup, are when used in a halogen reflector housing - not a projector.

Richard

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
I think most of the horror stories regarding HIDs come more from cheap aftermarket housings with no thought put into optics than they do the HID bulbs. The HID bulbs just make the poor optics stand out.

People see images like this and blame it on HIDs, even though the pattern would be nearly identical with halogens. Too many people forget how much of a role the housing plays in beam pattern.

To be clear, I'm not saying HIDs in halogen reflectors perform just as well as they do in projectors. But they are not in any way as bad as most people make them out to be. There are halogen reflectors out there that work VERY well with HIDs producing patterns similar to projectors and better than OEM reflectors. But on the other hand there are also reflectors out there that are garbage with any light source and others that are less than ideal but work well enough with halogens. It all depends on what specific reflector you're looking at. The ebay housings are hit or miss but you just can't blame the beam pattern on HIDs. Can't count how many times I've seen people asking about HIDs and then one guy tells them HIDs throw off the beam pattern and then recommends a drop in LED instead.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Really! What I see all the time (many multiple times every single night) that grinds my gears constantly are HID's in FACTORY halogen reflector housings, glaring all over the place, absolutely ridiculously blinding.

Haven't seen anyone outright recommend LED's over HID's because it's going to magically fix the pattern, but it was in fact my experience to a limited degree when taking DDM HID's out of GMT400 TYC Elegante housings and replacing with the TorchStar "2400 lumen" LED's - problem is, I'm 100% sure that it was complete luck of parts combination - if someone got LED's that were similar, but not the same, I doubt the results would match. Or if the same exact product changes slightly, which we all know happens very frequently in overseas aftermarket stuff.

Richard

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
Yeah the factory cuts lens housings are one of the housings that work well enough with halogens but just don't get along well with HIDs. If you're going to run HIDs in reflectors, you need to at least upgrade the housings. The quality of the cheap housings is hit or miss but some of them DO work very well with HIDs. Still not as well as projectors, but the same if not better than factory housings with halogens.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I was running the ebay black/chrome housings similar to your's Richard, but mine had the glare caps. They actually were decent with HIDs and had a definite cut off of light with them and minimal glare. The highbeams in them worked just fine as HIDs or Halogens. I recently replaced the housings with a set of TYC Elegante lights and the pattern was almost identical to the ebay units, aside from a little bit of fog line kick-up.

I have tested a set of the LED 9006 units in the same housings and in a set of LMC quad light lowbeam, and they performed ok in those as well.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whatever a person does adjusting the headlights is as much of a factor as the source and housing.

Sent from my throttle body injected galaxy note3