Fun on a budget- My 96 Sierra 2500 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Appreciate it! Have fun with your truck. I’ll be watching your progress. Sean Buick 76 is right - buy up good parts when you find them if you’re able to. I’ve got a collection of nice parts I’ve scored from the salvage yard. Sometimes I flip them, others I keep for myself.
Absolutely! Thank you. Good idea from both of you, I'll keep my eyes open for good parts. I found a bed, same as mine, same color, super clean looking for $650, but I realized my truck isn't quite nice enough for a rust free bed and it's a Wisconsin truck LOL. Came from Texas originally, which explains the clear coat and overall lack of rust.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Appreciate it! Have fun with your truck. I’ll be watching your progress. Sean Buick 76 is right - buy up good parts when you find them if you’re able to. I’ve got a collection of nice parts I’ve scored from the salvage yard. Sometimes I flip them, others I keep for myself.
Thank you!

I slowly gather parts, it saved me thousands. Collecting parts for my vehicles that may need to be replaced one day. $30 starters, $20 alternators, etc are perfect to have on the shelf for when needed. Niw I take things to an extreme with spare rear ends, front diffs, engines etc but anything is better than nothing for preparedness!

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Reading the above is like going back in time. No doubt this won't be your last vehicle...but I
guarantee you that it will make lasting memories.

Just for laughs, check out some old photos & memories of my buddy's truck back when I was
your age. (454 Camper Special project from my misspent youth.)

If you treat this as the real-world learning experience that it is, and strive to
make the most of what you have to work with, this will in turn give you
invaluable practice in all things having to do with critical thinking, analytic troubleshooting, etc.

Way more than your contemporaries will be doing while only putting fingertips to a screen.

Play your cards right, and you will get to do anything you want for a career.

Just be careful. Respect the laws of physics. Safety 1st.

And go for it.

:0)
Oh, certainly not, I forsee at least another GMT400 and several project cars, maybe eventually my dream car!

That is super cool, I love hearing stories like that.

Absolutely, I've always been a make do with what I got kinda guy, and this project has been helping me do that in a more proper way haha. I pride myself on being able to fix and pay for things myself, whereas my classmates haven't a clue.

I'm working as an entry level mechanic right now, but have considered multiple different career paths.

Physics are important, not rolling the truck, etc., but safety, eh, I always say safety 3rd! :gr_grin: No, realistically though I know safety is important and I watch what I do so I just toe that line heheh.

Thank you for the encouragement, always much appreciated!

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you!

I slowly gather parts, it saved me thousands. Collecting parts for my vehicles that may need to be replaced one day. $30 starters, $20 alternators, etc are perfect to have on the shelf for when needed. Niw I take things to an extreme with spare rear ends, front diffs, engines etc but anything is better than nothing for preparedness!
I always love to be overprepared, so I will probably do that to an extent. Unfortunately we do not have much room in our current garage, so I can only do so much of that, but that'll all change when my buddy and I get our own garage! Jury rigging is my friend a lot of the time, just until I can get the part I need. LOL

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I always love to be overprepared, so I will probably do that to an extent. Unfortunately we do no have much room in our current garage, so I can only do so much of that, but that'll all change when my buddy and I get our own garage! Jury rigging is my friend a lot of the time, just until I can get the part I need. LOL
It's good to know "how to fix it good enough to get home" so you know what you can get away with.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's good to know "how to fix it good enough to get home" so you know what you can get away with.
Exactly my thoughts, doesn't need to be too good haha. Also, I'm sure you get this a lot but I will say, I admire you, a girl who likes trucks and fixing them, now that's just cool as h*ll! Props to you ma'am!

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Exactly my thoughts, doesn't need to be too good haha. Also, I'm sure you get this a lot but I will say, I admire you, a girl who likes trucks and fixing them, now that's just cool as h*ll! Props to you ma'am!
Thanks! My Dad believed that girls needed to know how cars work, and how to do at least basic maintenance. Of course it helped that we had a family business that was an independent auto parts store!
Before the 400s, we had 5 square body Burbs(see my signature), and many other vehicles, primarily GM but a couple of Mopar's as well. As he got older and couldn't do as much, he would show me how to do larger projects. And when I can afford it, I go to the local self service yards and get parts for my boys, or to resell.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! My Dad believed that girls needed to know how cars work, and how to do at least basic maintenance. Of course it helped that we had a family business that was an independent auto parts store!
Before the 400s, we had 5 square body Burbs(see my signature), and many other vehicles, primarily GM but a couple of Mopar's as well. As he got older and couldn't do as much, he would show me how to do larger projects. And when I can afford it, I go to the local self service yards and get parts for my boys, or to resell.
Wish all dads were that cool! I see that you guys had quite a few sweet trucks, the Cadillac 500 sounds really fun. Good stuff!

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I'm sure you get this a lot but I will say, I admire you, a girl who likes trucks and fixing them, now that's just cool as h*ll! Props to you ma'am!
you are not alone every one here or close to it feels the same way we all have the highest levels of respect for her

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Wish all dads were that cool! I see that you guys had quite a few sweet trucks, the Cadillac 500 sounds really fun. Good stuff!
It was for the short time we got to run it. That Burb was really trashed because it had been on a farm/ranch and had been only run at low speed, never had an oil change. Filthy inside the engine and interior, motor mount cross member adapter piece had terrible welds. We blew it apart to fix everything and never got it back together. I still have the 500 and the Cadillac TH400 trans, to go in another project.