Fun on a budget- My 96 Sierra 2500 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Ah, that's too bad, love those trucks. That is great news though. I'm all for a GMT400, but I think that drivetrain deserves to go in something 70's. Though I guess it would make a really cool sleeper in a 400, carbureted with a points distributor and all... ooh, the less electronics the more I love it.
If everything works out, it'll go in something from the 50s. It's a '74 engine, currently a 472 but I have the 500 crank. Dad wouldn't buy the pistons till he had the machine work done, and it never got that far. After we got that truck apart, and were still fixing things, and finding more stuff to fix, we moved our parts store, built our building, and my brother came along. And I was in high school.
Then in the late 80s the parts business tanked and we had way less funds to do anything with, plus we lost several of the sources for parts.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
yeah it would be 2 door barn doors 4x4 5 speed big block 8 lug conversion for me but I put the 4 door one for you because of your gotta have 4 doors tagline
And if it was a barn door 2 door, then technically it has 4 doors....
Buddy of mine bought a Scottsdale 2 door Tahoe, in '99 for his wife. But she didn't like how it rode with the short wheelbase, so he got her something else and he kept the Tahoe. Looked like Burb's mini me except for the grille, it was pewter had the tan interior, but all vinyl. He had Cragar SS wheels on it and it looked badass. But he sold it to his brother in law and he put big rims and the Silverado grille and lights on it. Bernard(my buddy) has right of first refusal if he sells it though, he wants it back. I always figured it was kinda rare, being the basic trim level and 2wd.

Last edited:

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
since you are an expert on suburbans do know or have any idea why you could not order a square body 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban with a 454 and they only offered it on 2wds

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
since you are an expert on suburbans do know or have any idea why you could not order a square body 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban with a 454 and they only offered it on 2wds
I was always told that the 4x4 components would not handle the torque of the big block, so the 400 small block was the largest engine offered in the K square body trucks.
In third grade, my best friend's parents had a square body Burb with a 454 that they towed a travel trailer with. We ended up buying that trailer when they were considering a newer one, and should have gotten the Burb too. But we couldn't swing both purchases...so we towed the trailer with dad's 75 GMC Sierra Classic, smogger 350, it would do it but not with the AC on. Our '78 Sierra shop truck Heavy Half 350 would tow it fine though. Their Burb was red and white with the saddle tan interior, and her mom drove it on the school field trips. You could cram a whole lotta third graders in a burb....

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I do not know it just seems odd to you could a K30 with a 454 and a k20 pickup with one as well maybe there is some thing different between the pickups and suburbans
Other than Burbs being a thousand or more pounds heavier on the back than the pickups? But on the 400s, Rawhide weighs about the same as The Burb... according to the title anyway. Sometime I'll get them scaled, but the public scales are not close to my part of Houston. We used to go by one on the Eastside, but never had time to stop.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
also I wish the sbc 400 would have stayed around a little bit longer then what it did till when they switched for carb to tbi I know some people do not like them and complain about cooling/over heating problems but I like them quite a bit
If you can get one that hasn't been over bored or otherwise abused, they're great motors. But they have their limits on going oversize because of the way they are made.