Front shock clearance problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have installed new Bilstein shocks on my 1998 K1500. The driver side shock is about 1/16" from the frame/bump stop shown here...

You must be registered for see images attach

The passenger side has 1/4" clearance which looks better...

You must be registered for see images attach

Is this indicative of frame damage?

The truck was hit on the driver side several years ago but supposedly fixed. The previous owner did level the truck (torsion bar crank).

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
It very well could be that the lower mount could be bent, or the top mount bent in towards the motor. It also looks like driver's side is loose, and the mounting hole worn, if you look close at the picture... unless that's from the washer moving around when it was tightened.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, I didn't even think about the mounting points being off. I'm not sure if I could tell if they were bent or not unless it was just obviously damaged. Maybe a body shop? I'll look and see what I can see, though.

I'll take a look at that mounting hole and see if it is egged out.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The mounting points look consistent with the ones on the passenger side--nothing is obviously bent and they each seem to line up with other frame components the same way. That's hardly proof but about the best I can do by eyeballing it.

The bottom of the UCA clears the (droop stop?) by about 3/4" on the passenger side and 1/4" on the driver side. Is it called the droop stop...the frame member that has the rubber stop on the bottom that I drew the arrow to in the photo?

Ride height as measured from center of wheel to fender lip kind of vary, not sure if that's normal or not...
Driver front: 22"
Driver rear: 21-1/8"
Passenger front: 21-3/8"
Passenger rear: 21-5/8"

Last edited: