1990 C1500 front shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
So... In the process of changing out all the control arms with new I discovered the KYB shocks I have are due to head to the scrap bin. They came on the truck when I bought it and look fairly new but the rubber parts say otherwise.

What are your guys and gals using for shocks these days? I guess me being me would opt for a middle of the road option. The truck does have a fairly large roll bar if that makes a difference. It has been lowered with spindles by the previous owner so I would think a "stock" shock would fit.

Ken

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Roll bar, the thing in bed that would prevent cab crush?
Or " sway bar " .( Does not prevent roll over. )

caminonut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lowered my 90 with bell tech drop spindles and my stock shocks were too long and bottoming out, ended up using shocks from an S-10 that fit perfect and have had no problems.
Now that i think about it was the my rear Shocks I had to change to S-10 not the front!

Last edited:

WV_Dave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've heard it referred to as an anti-roll bar by a lot of guys and even just roll-bar for short.

KYB still makes a good shock, I've had no problems with them on street trucks. They're about half the price of Bilsteins too which I think are a bit too stiff for a street truck, even the 4600s.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A spindle-only drop won't decrease the length of shock required, so a stock length shock should fit. However, they're not generally valved correctly for a dropped application as they're expecting more suspension travel. I'd go with a shock spec'd for drops. Belltech Street Performance shocks are pretty good and they offer them for applications with as little as "0" drop which technically that's what you have. Example, my 2006 Silverado SS is not dropped at all beyond the factory ride height and I'm running Belltech shocks all around just for the firmer feel.

And while I can sort of get the nitpicking at calling it a "roll bar" - lots of people call them "sway bars" when it's actually an "anti-sway bar" - we're not sending rockets to the moon here; no need to get snarky about names where it doesn't matter. Contextually it's not an issue to discern exactly what OP meant.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's perfectly acceptable to call it a sway bar or an anti-roll bar. It prevents body roll, and it absolutely does contribute to preventing roll over. Several years ago I looked into autocrossing my wife's Scion xB. Because they're so narrow compared to their height, they're tippy. They were ineligible for SCCA autocross unless you either lowered them or installed a rear anti-roll bar. Supposedly the rear anti-roll bar on a Toyota Yaris would have been a bolt on, but then my son rolled it and the dream died. Irony, considering the conversation.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's perfectly acceptable to call it a sway bar or an anti-roll bar. It prevents body roll, and it absolutely does contribute to preventing roll over. Several years ago I looked into autocrossing my wife's Scion xB. Because they're so narrow compared to their height, they're tippy. They were ineligible for SCCA autocross unless you either lowered them or installed a rear anti-roll bar. Supposedly the rear anti-roll bar on a Toyota Yaris would have been a bolt on, but then my son rolled it and the dream died. Irony, considering the conversation.
I get mildly annoyed when I see "Vortex" describing a Vortec engine, and only slightly amused when we talk about motor vs. engine, "triggered" (LOL) when a Gov-Loc gets called a "posi" - but I think every single one of us knew exactly what the man meant when he said roll bar. :)

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I discovered the KYB shocks I have are due to head to the scrap bin. They came on the truck when I bought it and look fairly new but the rubber parts say otherwise.
IF (big IF) the only thing wrong with the shocks is the rubber mounts...install aftermarket Polyurethane mounts into them and put 'em right back on the truck. Energy Suspension and others make all sorts of Poly shock bushings. Measure what's in there, order something suitable.

One example:
www.amazon.com/dp/B000CNB5NG/?coliid=ID5AN3N3CM5VX&colid=31ORN63IXRW6M&psc=1
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

No need to scrap shocks when the rubber mounting goes bad.

If the shocks are now limp and not controlling the springs like they should, that's another matter.

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get mildly annoyed when I see "Vortex" describing a Vortec engine, and only slightly amused when we talk about motor vs. engine, "triggered" (LOL) when a Gov-Loc gets called a "posi" - but I think every single one of us knew exactly what the man meant when he said roll bar. :)

Richard

X2
There is a good reason for proper terminology. Like the use of "parking brake" rather than emergency brake. Seeing as it won't stop you in an emergency...

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2
There is a good reason for proper terminology. Like the use of "parking brake" rather than emergency brake. Seeing as it won't stop you in an emergency...
Depending on the emergency, sure it will. Most emergency or parking brake systems are mechanical not hydraulic, so in the event of a leak or system failure the e-brake is a viable option.