Front End Remodeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
What do yall think about mounting some lights on top of the bumper?...maybe a pair of hella black magics

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
When you mentioned dipping the front bumper, an idea of sorts popped up, maybe one of the photoshoppers can do your bumper in black for you, but only from top of impact strip and down in black....from top edge of strip and up, remain chrome. Might look interesting, sorta like the newer style where it has the lower bumper cover is paint matched and the thin little metal bumper on top is chrome. I don't know, just thinking aloud. If you ease the bumper out just a bit so you can see the edge of the upper bolts in center, then trim or remove the filler panel, you can remove the upper bolts and use them to mount your hella brackets to; make sure you use a 1" thick rubber/urethane spacer between bumper and bracket, so they can be adjusted left-to-right, you'll need to take your old bolts to a hardware store and have them matched to a pair that is 1-2" longer....I did this on my '94 when I had the push bar front end to keep trees and limbs from knocking them all outta whack. This ofcourse positions them relatively close to your grille, but they shouldn't stick out any in that position; whereas if you mounted on the bumper itself, then when you were on the trails or in the bush, the lights would be the first thing to come in contact with saplings versus your bumper with the way mine were. Just an idea is all.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On ebay, I've seen valances on a 'Buy it now' for around $20.00! & they come with all the new clips & bolts.
Truck's looking good! Some new lights will really make a dif.

I would be cautious of those cheapie valences on ebay. I bought one for my 98 and really wish I hadn't. About 2/3 of the mounting holes were so far off that you couldn't even open up the holes to make them match. The stock one took quite a bit of abuse before it finally cracked on me. Within a couple weeks of having the ebay one on there, it was broken and half missing with minor hits. The plastic was way more brittle and didn't look as good. I have since bought a factory one for a few more bucks, but way less headache.

To OP, my wipers on my 98 look similar to yours although not quite as bad. I popped the wiper arms off to try and re-index them only to realized the splines are keyed and can only go on one way. I haven't tried it yet, but I've read that if you take off the plastic wiper valence that you can loosen and reposition the mechanism in there to make them sit normal again.

Darren

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, my 95's driver's side was way high up, like the OP's. My 96 was a bit lower and 98 was actually too low, it rested against the vent trim at bottom of windshield. As with all bolts down here, my screws were all rusted up top, so I went the harder route and ground the key off, they haven't had any problems slipping without it either....it was just a royal PITA to grind it off. The internal setup is adjustable, similar to tie rods.