Front Coilovers for GMT400 < $350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I gotcha. Now I'm pickin up what your putting down, :D. That is a good point, I had not thought about that. I will definitely have to add a brace or two under there to make me feel more comfortable incase this were to happen. I wonder what the F-body guys do as this kit is actually designed for their cars and mount the same way.

nine4gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
for one thing, the f body cars came with stock struts, basically a coilover at the bottom connection. the lower control arm was designed to support all the weight in one small shock size spot, rather than spread out over a large coil spring area. plus f body cars are much lighter than 1/2 ton trucks requiring less structure.

im not trying to blast anyone, just pointing out a major safety issue in a coilover setup on this model truck.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotcha. I firmly believe in never being "too smart to learn", so you'll never hear me complain about constructive criticism. I'm glad you brought it up. I know of two guys in particular who have been running this setup for 3+yrs in BBC trucks so I feel like it's pretty safe. I do agree with you on if those two bolts ever gave out it would be bad. I don't think the shock and spring could fall completely through the control arm but I do feel like it would be a good idea to put in a saftey of some sorts. A piece of steel stock to catch the shock and spring if that ever did happen.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Maybe you could compress the coilover and mount it on the inside(upper side) of lower shock mount plate. This way the downward pressure is pressing against the shock mount versus pulling against it. Then the bolts would be keeping it from slipping horizontally while the plate held it from moving vertically. :shrug:

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
MOBS I'm liking that idea. And from what I read the shocks are a tad on the short side anyway so I think it would still be in tolerences. I need some pics of the stock shock setup to contemplate this?