Frame and under bed coating/ painting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I'm gonna give it a shot in a couple weeks. I plan to buy 2 gallons of bed liner and triple coat it and double coat the primer.
My friend said after I wore wheel it to see how rough the frames surface is for the primer to hold on to and then sand the primer with some 80 grit before rolling the bed liner on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good advice. You want a rough surface. You also want it as clean as possible, so acetone, twice.

I have a siphon sand blaster that I use with 60 grit Black beauty to rough frames and things up before I touch them up.

Big Jon 95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will any of rustoleums automotive primers work or should I get the bonding primer, sand able primer, self etching or rusty metal primer?

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used the gray colored Rustoleum rusty metal primer and it seemed to work great. Haven't had a single issue with the bedliner lifting. I just brushed my bedliner straight over the primer. If you do choose to sand your primer, I might suggest something finer than 80 grit as it'll probably just take the primer off down to clean metal. If anything probably a quick once over with a scuff pad will do just fine, but I didn't bother doing anything to mine.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And here is the liner's condition after three hard winters in Ohio. The only parts I've had to touch up was the bottom of the c-channel towards the rear end. Road workers lay down beds of sharp gravel all over the roads, so I can imagine my tires are just throwing this stuff everywhere, basically media blasting the underneath. Can't wait to leave this state someday lol.
You must be registered for see images attach

Big Jon 95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
And here is the liner's condition after three hard winters in Ohio. The only parts I've had to touch up was the bottom of the c-channel towards the rear end. Road workers lay down beds of sharp gravel all over the roads, so I can imagine my tires are just throwing this stuff everywhere, basically media blasting the underneath. Can't wait to leave this state someday lol.

That still looks awesome and im sure that you get a lot more salt in Ohio that I do down in Missouri. .

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah we get loads of it. The roads actually turn white colored up here. They pour it on even if it doesn't snow. The frame still has some salt on it, just took those pictures this morning. I washed the truck last night, but need to hit it again. It usually takes me a couple washes to get it really clean. The weather channels are calling for no more snow and ice this winter so I'm rather elated.

Big Jon 95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you use the professional grade or the normal bed liner? I can't seem to find a difference between them other than cost

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly I used the normal grade stuff, a friend used the professional grade and it faded after a couple years and started peeling up. You can find online views saying similar things. I bought a gallon of the normal grade at Wal-Mart for $40 and I'm still happy I did.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sure, no problem at all. Good luck, and have fun! It's messy and tedious but really worth it. If you need anything else feel free to ask! :)