Foxbody and a Z71 - 1991 K1500 Silverado, 5 speed, 350ci

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi all, I just bought this 1991 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 (4/1/15)
Information known...
I bought this vehicle off of an individual in Spencer NY who had it for 2.5 years and used it mainly for winter.
The owner before him, lived in South Carolina and swapped a 4.3L to a GM reman. 350ci into it at approx. 99-100k miles.
My intent with this vehicle is to keep it as a nice daily driver and just general clean up and maintenance.
The vehicle currently has 159,6XX miles, and previous owner put approx. 15K miles on it only.

It's not the prettiest, has a lot of paint flaking off the bed, has minimal rust but has a crack in rocker maybe 1.5 inch long by half an inch tall, other wise very solid.

Here is the SPID tag below, I may need help decoding this, as I believe it to be a Z71?

You must be registered for see images attach

Currently the truck has some cosmetic issues, and has a mechanical issue in which it feels it gives itself too much gas. At low RPM's it seems to just have the timing overly advanced or retarded, it has a large odor of fuel unburnt at idle especially. It seems worse at cold temps, but not much better at warm temps.
My first attempt will be to replace the coolant temp sensor, and after that I am already not too sure what to think of.

The previous owner had countless receipts totaling over $8,000 alone. Transmission, rear end, and transfer case are all relatively recently rebuilt. Interior needs some attention as well, I received a nice dash from the PO, along with a few other things, so that will be a project for another day.

But here is what many people were looking for; some pictures!

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the truck. Similar to mine. I read you got the truck in Spenser? Had family living out that way. I'm just north of the Catskills now.

Can't wait for updates on your project

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont believe its a z71 due to the fact that it doesnt say z71 on the spid tag. Or I just cant make it out because its hard to read some of the codes.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
One way too tell for sure it is a z71 is if it has:
-bilstein shocks
-an aluminum front diff skid plate
-an aluminum transfer case skid plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
^^^
-shocks could've been changed/replaced
-someone could've bought them and put them on or even taken them off and sold them

Reaction score
I was mainly looking into if it is a Z71 because I'm not sure if the braking components, and suspension components are appropriate or relatively compatible with a v8 motor in it.
The truck is at a buddies shop as I have no time with work and college. Engineering school and classes aren't as easy as 98% of these other degrees!

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure suspension/brakes are the same on V6 and V8 trucks. I know the rear brakes are larger on the 14 bolt rear end vs. the 10 bolt.

Looks like a decent looking truck. Seems to be in really good shape considering the area you live in.