Fox 2.0 Resi on OBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Feintmotion86

Reaction score
Just wanted to share something I've been working on. I really like the Bilstein 5100's I had put on my Tahoe about a year ago. They feel really great on the street. After hitting some trails and rocky areas though, I found them to be a bit on the rough side (as I've seen a lot of you also have echoed). Just to try something else, I wanted to try out some Fox 2.0's. However, as you know, Fox doesn't make them for this application. After a some digging I found what I figured might work, so I wanted to share my experience.

I bought some later model 2500HD fox 2.0 w/ resi's, and re-used the T-bar from my older Bilsteins w/new bushings. I tried to install them body side up, but as you all probably know there's not a lot of space up there with the mounting bracket, exhaust, etc. So I had to re-mount the bushings and orient the shocks to body side down.

Here you can see the shock comparison between Bilstein 5100 (for 4-5" lift) and the Fox's:
You must be registered for see images attach

Installed:

Drawbacks:
There's very little room back there. Having to orient the reservoirs took some time and was a compromise; avoiding the exhaust on the passenger side was a special concern, of which I had to address with some heat shielding I had lying around. On the driver's side, avoiding the spare tire during compression was my main concern. Also, while the axle is at full droop, the shock body at the eyelet end touches the mounts. I'll address this later and possibly grind away a small part and reinforce the mount with some thicker steel welded to the outside (unless someone has a better idea).

The steel braided lines for the resi's also are not in an ideal position, but seeing as how I'm not hardcore rock crawling I am willing to give this a try to see how it works on trails.

I have the front 2.0, non resi's I'll throw on in a week or two.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
This is an interesting swap. I'm curious how it will perform. It always looked possible but it seems nobody had tried?

Feintmotion86

Reaction score
Since the chassis is old, not too many companies are making "new" parts for it. I figured I'd try something I hadn't seen before.

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
BTW Tuff Country sells adapters for the rear shocks to use eyelet shocks

interested in how the ride is. I was considering a similar option but want to have shrader valves added so I can adjust nitrogen pressure

Attachments

• 559C89DA-AEB2-4427-ABD8-2DD0720141FC.png
    559C89DA-AEB2-4427-ABD8-2DD0720141FC.png
    321.1 KB · Views: 18

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert on shock valving, but I'm wondering how turning a shock upside down would reverse the valving. The direction of gravity might change, but compression and rebound are still compression and rebound. Are the internal valves affected by gravity?

Feintmotion86

Reaction score
They ride a little stiffer than the Bilstein 5100, but then again this was only in a parking lot with speed bumps. I'd have to take them on a trail to know for sure, and likely put some speed into it.

Also, I'm thinking of taking the shocks to get a 90 degree fitting installed with a shorter hose.