Found something that I thought they gave up selling.. Good old fashioned print magazine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahh...the ol' 4X4 and survival/knife/gun rags of the mid-70s....then it was hotrod Harleys.
Somewhere, I have some boxes full of the mags I wanted to reference....and it was Sabbath and Rainbow....no mullet.
The mullet happened later. Sabbath happened first.
When I was in cub scouts I won a cheap radio and a flashlight for selling the most Christmas trees.
The runner up kid also won a radio but he wanted the flashlight.
So we traded. I knew that my radio would be confiscated by mom and dad because I would be up all night listening to it instead of sleeping.
So I sandbagged Mom and Dad and let myself get busted so they would take radio number one.
They didnt know I had radio number two.
Too this day, I am a firm believer in always having a backup plan.
I lived in a room in the attic of the house, with a North facing window in Tacoma Washington.
If I was very carefull about the floor sqweeking, and if I had enough stolen tin foil from the antenna to the roof flashing I could stand in that window and pick up the Seattle FM rock stations or the local college rock stations.
Mom is a jazz singer, Dad played guitar in many Northwest bands
Grandma was in the Ina Ray Hutton band.
My Uncle owned a chain of music stores.
But for some reason they thought that music ended with the Mamas and the Pappas.
I had heard some Sabbath and some Led Zepplin but only by not sleeping.
In the summer of 1976 we took the 7 litre hydroplane from Seattle to a race in Sweet Home Oregon.
A hillborn injected 427 chev methanol boat.
It was about 100 degrees and my job was to vent both of the fuel drums while we were going down the freeway with Dad driving.
Eventually, They swapped drivers and I got to ride in the cab.
The new driver was also the driver of the hydroplane.
Keith Richards. Not the "Keith Richards"
But that was his name.
RIP you madman and thank you for all of those years Bud.
He said, and I will never ever forget this.
" I cant ******* take one more minute of your Dad and his ******* 1963 little doggy in the widow or his ******* ****** surf music"
That was the first time I heard black sabbath all the way through.
Also the first time I heard "Heart" all the way through and the first time I heard Led Zepplin all the way through.
We picked up this girl who was hitchhiking on the on ramp and took her to the race with us.
That all came with.. You dont need to tell your Mother about this...
Hey kid, you dont need to tell my wife about this..
We slept under the tilt trailor that night and the hydrualics failed.
I sat up and tore a chunk out of my head on the skid fin.
I was taught how to do a compression test with a big knarly peeled off chunk of scalp flapping in the wind.
Between heats, hitchhiker girl was hungry so I took her up to the concession shack and bought us both a spaghetti lunch.
That was my first date and I was so proud of myself and awkward as ****.
I was the most gigantic monterious overgrown kid youve ever seen. I was over 6 foot 2 and about 160.
I had half of a front tooth chipped off.
I had more friggen hair than Cher did and I was wearing a gold knitted sweater that my grandmother made for me.
"Dork" doesnt even come close to explaining it
It was awesome and she was just so cool of a person.
Just a free soul who decided to spend her week making a ***** Kid happy.
We ate some pasta and she told me that I was a handsome kid and that I should get a ******* haircut and get my tooth fixed and stop wearing that sweater.
I wish I could remember her name, but it was so long ago.
Wherever she is, However she is,
She is such a part of me.
And we cleaned house.
Back in those days division one 7 litre was wide open.
Race whatever is on the trailer
But, nothing will cancel christmas faster than blowing up an alky inject Can Am 427.
We set an unofficial record. Not APBA timed.
We left hitchhiker girl on some freeway onramp and she followed whatever dream she was chasing.
For me, race week at Sweet Home changed everything.
Black Sabbath and Heart and Led and an awesome woman who put the idea into my head that I wasnt as ******* ugly and stupid as I thought I was.
What most people miss is that Sabbath lyrics are not "devil music"
My freind Jim has a great take on this.
"If War Pigs makes you mad?
You're ******* War Pig"

Anyway, thats my 1976 boat racing chipped tooth hitchhiker head peeled open methanol freeway gassing long hair grandma sweater wearing 2 dollar spaghetti buying dont tell your mother black sabbath first date.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
When I was in cub scouts I won a cheap radio and a flashlight for selling the most Christmas trees.
So we traded. I knew that my radio would be confiscated by mom and dad because I would be up all night listening to it instead of sleeping.
So I sandbagged Mom and Dad and let myself get busted so they would take radio number one.
I lived in a room in the attic of the house, with a North facing window in Tacoma Washington.
If I was very carefull about the floor sqweeking, and if I had enough stolen tin foil from the antenna to the roof flashing I could stand in that window and pick up the Seattle FM rock stations or the local college rock stations.
But for some reason they thought that music ended with the Mamas and the Pappas.
In the summer of 1976 we took the 7 litre hydroplane from Seattle to a race in Sweet Home Oregon.
It was about 100 degrees and my job was to vent both of the fuel drums while we were going down the freeway with Dad driving.
But that was his name.
" I cant ******* take one more minute of your Dad and his ******* 1963 little doggy in the widow or his ******* ****** surf music"
Also the first time I heard "Heart" all the way through and the first time I heard Led Zepplin all the way through.
We picked up this girl who was hitchhiking on the on ramp and took her to the race with us.
I was taught how to do a compression test with a big knarly peeled off chunk of scalp flapping in the wind.
Between heats, hitchhiker girl was hungry so I took her up to the concession shack and bought us both a spaghetti lunch.
I was the most gigantic monterious overgrown kid youve ever seen. I was over 6 foot 2 and about 160.
I had more friggen hair than Cher did and I was wearing a gold knitted sweater that my grandmother made for me.
We ate some pasta and she told me that I was a handsome kid and that I should get a ******* haircut and get my tooth fixed and stop wearing that sweater.
And we cleaned house.
But, nothing will cancel christmas faster than blowing up an alky inject Can Am 427.
We left hitchhiker girl on some freeway onramp and she followed whatever dream she was chasing.
Black Sabbath and Heart and Led and an awesome woman who put the idea into my head that I wasnt as ******* ugly and stupid as I thought I was.
You're ******* War Pig"

Anyway, thats my 1976 boat racing chipped tooth hitchhiker head peeled open methanol freeway gassing long hair grandma sweater wearing 2 dollar spaghetti buying dont tell your mother black sabbath first date.
Man....we have to chit-chat, for a few days, over some coffee one day. Beneath the humor, there is something that will be extinct soon enough for sure....when we're gone.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man....we have to chit-chat, for a few days, over some coffee one day. Beneath the humor, there is something that will be extinct soon enough for sure....when we're gone.
I'ma need in on that chat. No coffee, but the beverages don't need to be the adult variety.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I'ma need in on that chat. No coffee, but the beverages don't need to be the adult variety.
I would look forward to that....and 'libations of choice' is what makes the world go round.

... and oh, I didn't forget that paper. I just can't find the full-length version, only the mislabeled shortened (to meet the page count) submission. I'll send that one. I need a personal assistant.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
But that was his name.
And we cleaned house.
You're ******* War Pig"

All that is great stuff but you got me right in the feels on the long hair and chipped tooth business. For many years I looked like Cousin Itt with my hair down past my waist including in the front. I had broken a front tooth half off forever ago, had it fixed as a kid, then broke it again and it was very obvious. It didn't bother me and didn't seem to bother anyone I dated back then so I didn't worry about it.

Decades later my mom was bugging me about getting it fixed, which was weird, because she never really nagged me about -anything- at all. I've rarely had dental coverage and she finally said, "let me pay for it, it'll be my birthday present from you" meaning it would be a gift to her for HER birthday to pay for my tooth getting fixed!! When I asked her why, she says, "When you're meeting women, it's one of the first things they notice." Mind you at this point I was in my 30's, had been married once already to a drop-dead gorgeous woman (that was also completely nuts), and currently had a girlfriend of several years (the one I built that gold '93 ecsb for.) So I tell mom, "I've already got a girlfriend, haven't had any trouble meeting women." She says - my MOM - says this to me, "Well [name redacted] is nice, I like her (though I knew she didn't) but she could always use some company."

My mom really knew how to put salt on a situation if need be!!! I didn't know whether to bust out laughing or get mad at her. She was right though, that woman was definitely not right for me and we'd been fighting and breaking up/getting back together for years. It was exhausting, all that drama for nothing. I tried to never complain to my mom about it and she never bothered me about my relationships, but clearly she felt [name redacted] could use some competition :Big Laugh: when she laid that comment on me I said ya know, fck it, let's get this tooth fixed. :anitoof::anitoof::anitoof:

About a year later and another couple breakups/back togethers I told ol' girl I was done. I quit answering the phone/txts for a few months. Then out of the blue my (now)wife contacted me through my aunt, after a 10 year gap where we'd lost contact with each other while I was busy moving all over the place. She found my aunt on facebook, we spoke on the phone, lunch the very next day, and fell right back into our friendship and relationship almost immediately, a year later married, and now we're on 7+ years. My tooth isn't broken and I shave my head most of the time now.. I left Cousin Itt in the past.

Richard